Saturday, December 22, 2007

with the angelic hosts proclaim



This is this time last year. She was afraid of the hand mixer and only Daddy and Elmo could be of any solace. Yesterday at the park Harper made a new friend named Alex and she and Alex played catch and each of them had a successful throw which the other then successfully caught. I think that might be fairly impressive for a 2 1/2 and 3 year old. After the game of catch wound down, Alex was feeling chatty. "My Mommy is at the doctor," he confided. Oh? "Yes, and the doctor is Ripping OFF her TOENAIL." Wow, Alex, that's a lot of information for a Mommy to give a 3 year old. Okay, I didn't actually say that but I kind of wanted to. Especially when Alex continued on with increasingly disturbing details about the Procedure. I've had some rich and instructive discussions with a couple of different friends lately about the how-to and whether-to of innocence guarding with an increasingly curious child. When I was student teaching long ago, my supervising teacher had included a short book called Hiroshima in one of the units I was supposed to teach. It's a first person account of the day the atomic bomb was dropped. We had read some parts aloud in class and this kid raised his hand and asked, with a stricken expression, "Could this happen again?" I hated to tell him the truth, but he was a freshman in high school. Even if he was little for his age. I want Harper to feel safe about her toenails.
She put on a little performance for Chris and Stacie today. A rousing version of "Hark the Herald Angels." She takes a deep breath and really belts out with the angelic host proclaiming. It is Loud.
Is there anyone on the planet that will pay to see "Sweeney Todd"? It sounds appalling. Is it supposed to be ironic?

1 comment:

Jo said...

Patti, I am embarrassed to announce that I will be seeing Sweeney Todd - and am ready for it to be out on video. Izzy, however, will not. I do enjoy Sondheim (writer), though he and I have completely different worldviews. I've read they made it more graphic than the play...this is disappointing. I also enjoy Tim Burton, Depp, and Bonham Carter. I already know the musical well, so there's little to surprise or shock me.

They also said that Anthony's "Joanna" is especially beautiful. I'm a sucker for a soaring, gentle tenor.