Thursday, December 13, 2007
Go Christmas!
That's the actual title of an actual song on the cd my Mom, bless her, bought for us when I asked, and I quote, "For a Christmas cd with Christmas carols--you know, songs that talk about Jesus being born and stuff." She showed up, rather apologetically, with something called "The Coolest KidzBop Christmas Ever!"because I told her I liked it when they had the kids singing. Only I'm not so crazy about the kids singing "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer," and "Jingle Bell Rock" so we took a little walk to Barnes and Noble today to see if we couldn't exchange it for a little "Joy to the World." A big fat nothing. Even the "Christian pop" compilation was a little too heavy on the "Mary, Did You Know?" and not heavy enough on the "Ave Maria." Ok, Ok. I don't begrudge musicians for not wanting to do the cover tunes, and there are certainly recently penned Christmas songs that I think are good ("Breath of Heaven" is pretty and Chris Rice did something sweet with "Welcome to our World") but would it be terrible if the Jars of Clay just sang "Hark! the Herald Angels Sing" without some kind of weird jazzy syncopation? Or, even better, if they rounded up a group of kids and had them sing it? I really don't mind if Harper wants to sing "Frosty the Snowman" when she passes the inflatables, I just want her to hear a really lovely version of "Angels We Have Heard On High" as well. I tried singing "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" to them while we played in Harper's room today and they both stopped what they were doing and stared at me with what seemed like sick fascination. It's a hard song. And I'm no Julie Andrews. Harper asked me to stop.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
It might be best to download the songs you want from itunes and make your own compilation.
I've heard good things about this cd though:
http://www.sovereigngraceministries.org/Resources/Music/SaviorCD.aspx
The focus is on the incarnation of Christ, but it is not soley a Christmas cd.
Oh, I'm adding you to my blogroll. Yea for new blogging friends!
Oops, the full the link didn't show up.
http://www.sovereigngraceministries.org/Resources/ Music/SaviorCD.aspx
I had to add a space before the word "music" for it to all show up, so you will need to delete that space.
Or you can google this:
sovereign grace christmas cd
and it will be the first link (at least it is first right now).
I got a couple of my best Christmas CD's at - no joke - Target's Dollar Spot (the bins at the front with $1 items). They came in cheap cardboard cases, but I bought St. James' choir, the London Symphony Orchestra, and carols sung by children. Worth checking if you're there (but I haven't in ages so can't attest to whether or not they're there this year). And Josh Groban's new Christmas CD is fairly traditional with "Ave Maria," "Angels We Have Heard on High," "O Come All Ye Faithful," and "Silent Night." (And others, of course, but I won't list them all.)
I also have some Christmas chants (would you think I wouldn't?) that I picked up at used bookstores here and there. Those aren't bad places to poke around; they have some real gems just waiting to be discovered.
Thank you, ladies!
i do not know if men are welcome to the mommyland blogs, but wanted to stop by and say Hey to you, Patti. it has been a long time since we have played our made up games of Tiles or visited.
i look forward to going through your post from time to time and read the history of your adventures with your children.
thanks for visiting my blog, you may want to vist my old blog which has to do with word play, etc... i no longer post on it, but did for awhile. it is www.wordexchange.blogspot.com - my other former blog is from when i was in Iraq and falling in love with Kim - if you choose to read it, visit www.shanemiller.blogspot.com
ciao!
Shane! Of course men are welcome. I just looked at your other blogs. LOVE the wordplay--you should start it up again.
Margie--congratulations on the potty success! And you are absolutely right about the move next door. Brutal--and the hangers! yes! my mom even went through and took out all of the wire ones and bagged up the rest and it still seemed unmanageable. The next move will be BIG and we will hire BIG men to do it for us.
Post a Comment