This is my favorite carol and I'll tell you why. The first time I ever remember hearing it was when I was visiting my friend Yvonne the Liverpudlian in England and we went to a Christmas Eve service in this cavernous old church and there was a choir of men and boys and they sang it and it was dark and there were candles and it. was. sublime. I remember reading once that the old cathedrals were built to make us look upward and realize that God is Most High. What a wondrous and mystical thing to be reminded that God is Most High right when you're celebrating God being born most low.
There's a line in the third verse that I would've done well to sing to Harper today:
Christian children all must be
Mild, obedient, good as He.
We had to leave the park early today because she just could not keep it together. She cried when another boy was swinging by her friend Joseph, she cried when she dropped her car while she was riding the airplane, she cried when it was time to share her car. She's generally NOT histrionic in the least. Let's hope tomorrow is a day less cranky.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment