Sunday, December 16, 2007

Messiah

My header up there got squished somehow. I'll get J. to fix it. He's had a beastly cold the past 3 days. He stayed home with Hudson this morning and Harper and I decided to go to a church down the street because I'd driven by and seen "Handel's 'Messiah' this Sunday, 10:45" on their sign. On the way there I sang a little of the Hallelujah chorus and asked if she'd like to hear a choir sing it. "Do you mean the Stinky Poo-Poo song, Mommy?" she asked. If you are new to the blog you'll not know that I made up a little ditty while trying to encourage her to use the potty and I borrowed some melodic elements from Mr. Handel. So I fessed up to the artistic license I had taken and explained that the song was really about Jesus. So, here's how it went when we got there.
1. We had never been to this church before and no one talked to us. I even had on my "I'm glad to be here" face AND was carrying a cute toddler. And yet.
2. We sang a couple of carols before things got started. Which made me glad. We only sang the first and last verses though. Which puzzled me. We only sing Christmas carols a few weeks out of the year. And STILL we can't make time to sing all of the verses? (Boy I am determined to be in a dither about Christmas music this year.)
3. The "Messiah" got started and, considering the choir and orchestra appeared to be members of the church and not professionals, it sounded pretty good, right up until..
4. Things ground to a screeching halt so that, wait for it, the pastor of the church could Preach a Sermon right in the middle of the "Messiah" because, apparently, he had something to say that Handel and the librettist (a Mr. Jennens) didn't manage to cover.
5. He seemed to have a lot on his mind. We left.
6. No "Hallelujah!" for us today.
We did sing it in the car on the way home. Not the same. I couldn't stand up because I was driving.

1 comment:

Shane said...

you left while he was speaking? good on you. they were just luring you in with Handel so they could self promote - ha!

interesting that we seem to stand for three things - and these are in no particular order of importance - Handel's Messiah, the Pledge of Allegiance, and the Aggie football game - what are the similarities here?

and I believe it brilliant to borrow the Messiah for potty training, except that the standing may confuse the child

it would be slightly funny though if your child heard the Messiah and it reminded her of the potty training and she wet her pants