Saturday, December 15, 2007

Little Drummer Boy

And girl. This is about as close as the two of them get to playing together. People often ask how Harper likes her baby brother and I answer, "Well, she's pretty indifferent, actually." Even now that he is finally getting old enough to play, she hasn't altered her attitude much. Except, of course, to tell on him. She was partaking in some direct admonishment ("NO NO Hudson!) until I told her that I am the Mommy. Now she says, "Say 'not in your mouth' to Hudson, please Mommy." Hudson, of course, thinks Harper is MAGNIFICENT. He lights up at the mention of her name and does whatever he can to be near her. John Steinbeck wrote a delightful book called Travels With Charley that describes a cross country trip he took with his black standard poodle as his only companion. Charley has more personality than most humans you've met. When something meets with his approval, or he needs something, he makes a particular sound. I think Steinbeck spells it "Ftt." Anyway, Hudson makes the exact sound. When I get him up in the morning he gives me a bright smile and then "FFFttth" (he puts an 'h' on the end--poodles can't do dipthongs). I suspect he enjoys the way his new teeth feel on his lower lip. It is also a decidedly happy noise and when I tell him, after he has been changed and fed, that we'll now be going in to see Daddy and Harper he takes a breath and, "FFFFFFFFFFFFFtttttttttttth!" Some mornings Harper gives him a bright, "Hi buddy!" Other mornings, like this one, she'll say, "Please put Hudson down."

3 comments:

stevie said...

get down on Travels With Charley.

Jamie said...

Hudson and Harper are so sweet! I love hearing about their interations!

And I love the word "dipthong." I don't think I've used it since my "teaching reading" class in college, but it is such a great word that I think i will try to work into more conversations :)

Shane said...

my favorite of all sounds are the labio-dental sounds (f and v) - they seem so much more fun than the others.

although i did like it when i discovered the difference in the voicing of the interdental 'th'

the words thy vs. thigh

anyways, i digress

i do like your kids and your tales of them

be sure and teach them the 'ough' makes 6 distinct sounds in English - this will make their mastery of the language much easier