I've been thinking about high art and low art. Jamie had a little quiz thing on her blog a couple of months back that helped ascertain what sort of reader I am. I ranked pretty high on the 'snob' end of things, apparently because I like literature--and not just the required high school stuff. You got more points for Tender is the Night than for The Great Gatsby. I majored in English--they pretty much awarded me with a degree for having spent 4 years reading lots of books. I don't, however, enjoy snobbish thoughts. I do confess to a certain disdain for popular fiction (there are exceptions) because I just think it's frustrating when people don't take their vocation seriously. I think lots of writers stop short of the quality they could attain because they find lots of people who are satisfied, even thrilled, with what they currently write. And this frustration bleeds over into the other arts as well. People mistake popularity with quality. So Britney Spears latest album outsells Alison Krauss what, a hundredfold? And Alison Krauss outsells a recently released album of sacred music performed by a Houston choir that one reviewer proclaimed, "evocative of heavenly glory, whether accompanied or a capella" (and he's not a critic prone to effuse) probably a thousandfold. Here's what instigated my rant today though. On our way to the park we pass neighboring yards that are chock full of inflatable, holiday fun. There's an igloo that houses Santa and Frosty, who take turns popping out. There's a carousel with snow, penguins, polar bears and Santa all enjoying a ride. Harper thinks it is all JUST FANTASTIC. Her eyes get all sparkly, she commends Santa and Frosty for doing such a good job taking turns, she gets positively rhapsodic about the carousel. Toddlers are all about the low art, it seems. She much prefers singing "Where is My Hairbrush?" by Larry the Cucumber, than the "Carmina Burana." (I'm just kidding--she doesn't really sing in Latin) So here's the question: should I take a knife to the inflatable snow globe? Will doing so ensure that Harper will better appreciate Rembrandt? Seriously, I feel the quality of my posts is waning with the December challenge. I think I'll take on politics tomorrow. The New York Times is newly fascinated with the Huckabee campaign.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
Okay, Patti, I had to comment. Dinner music in my childhood home consisted of Gregorian Chants, 100 French Girls, and the gamut of classical recordings (all vinyl records played in a large living room console). In 1975, these were not Top 100 albums. No one, save my father and a few college professors, had ever heard of Gregorian Chants except as a passing remark in a history textbook. My friends would say, "Please tell your dad not to play funeral music." Which, if I passed along their request, would only spur him to turn it up (with a comment about my friends not knowing what truly good music was).
I enjoyed good literature in high school but also - paradoxically - Harlequin Romances. Top 40 tunes - who could even skip a week of Casey Kasem? - and Big Band sing-alongs (which I kept to myself; I mean, would my friends think it was cool that I liked the music of my grandparents?) When I was younger, all I wanted was the cute, popular stuff that affirmed me as a part of the world. But thanks to my parents' preference for the unpopular, unique, little known but deliciously good music, I now love the same. Gregorian Chants soothes my soul like no other music. It's the music of a happy childhood.
All this is to say that your listening to Alison Kraus and sacred choral music will influence Harper into adulthood. Although she may one day tell you she hates it and wants no part of it, she will likely harbor a deep love of it all her life.
So put away the knife and sing "Frosty the Snowman" with gusto. You've already begun planting the seeds of high art that will blossom in the years when Harper can throw off the chains of coolness and embrace what she loves.
Just a reminder, Patti--this challenge is definitely not about "quality." It would not exist if it were :)
ps--do you have a wordpress account yet?
Wee! Margie is back! Jamie--I am going to find out what that is and do it tomorrow.
I must apologize for my misspelling of gamBIt. I realized the mistake after I posted and was walking down the hall, and suspect I said "gambit" out loud. The word was often used in our home, but I only remember seeing it written as a later adult and it startled me. It was nothing, of course, like the word uttered from my mother's storytelling (in a good way) lips. (For confirmation about this aspect of my mother, talk to Wendy.)
But my friend Elaine, with a Master's degree in English, an editor at a Seattle-based insurance company and writer in her own right, and to whom I defer for grammar, spelling, and punctuation perfection, once confessed her own mis-use of a word learned, of course, in the family setting. The word was "de-thaw." It's an obvious combination of defrost and thaw, but when used in that manner means the opposite. She said she never heard herself until a friend pointed it out, and she was horrified and embarrassed. I didn't help because I think I screamed, "DE-THAW?" and laughed until I couldn't breathe. But I've felt a bit better about my own - and hopefully occasional - mistakes thanks to "de-thaw." (And because I've told you this story, I'll never, ever tell her I post on your blog.)
You have time to read the New York Times?
Margie-your first instinct was right. It is 'gamut.' At least according to my husband's Oxford Encyclopedic English Dictionary. It's 'the whole series or range or scope of anything.' A 'gambit' is an opening move, in chess or in conversation.
We had that record console at our house. My parents tended towards Engelbert Humperdink (sp?), Willie Nelson, and Ray Charles. My brother and I did a little routine to "Hit the Road Jack."
I wish I had enjoyed literature in high school. It wasn't until college that I discovered what I'd been missing.
My friend Kim is authority on All Things Grammar. It's a weak point with me. I didn't understand verb tenses until I taught ESL to really smart Russian and Hungarian speakers who knew and understood grammar.
I once used the word "irregardless" while teaching pre-AP English to a bunch of precocious high school sophomores. One of them wrote about it in the school newspaper. I was a first year teacher. My lead teacher called me into her classroom to ask if it were true. Ouch.
Check it out, Patti!!! It works!
I, too, want to deflate all blow up holiday fare in Tanglewood when I drive or walk in the neighborhood. And now they use the cheap things for holidays year round. These people have beaucoups of money and lovely homes, yet they have so little taste in lawn decorations! And the paltry tree lighting they pay money for! Bart Simpson could do better.
Wow, Patti, thanks for affirming my choice! I had visions of past letter readers shaking their heads and thinking, "That poor girl doesn't even know how to spell gamut." But I did. I suppose that when I came across gambit - whenver it was - I assumed I was wrong and never paid attention to the context. You'd think as a reader I'd be better than that.
By the way, I saw that "Gilead" (using parentheses b/c I'm unable to underline) was one of your favorite books. It might be my all time favorite. It still inhabits my thoughts.
Yet another comment before I go: Your story about "irregardless" is hilarious. And if it makes you feel any better, for years I pronounced stamina "Stamyna" with the accent on the second syllable. This is, in fact, the first time I've ever admitted this to anyone.
Weee! Jo found her password! This is so fun. I just raised my fists in the air in celebration over all of these delightful comments. I would think the people in Tanglewood would be above the inflatables--IS there such a thing as a classy yard decoration?
Margie--no way I read the New York Times every day. I only read the columns on MSN. It's scary that I'm letting MSN filter my media. Alas. Yes, Gilead. Exquisite, right? See, Marilynne Robinson is a perfect example of what every novelist should be. She is just masterful.
patti,
i am curious after reading all these comments and seeing that you celebrated the comments with fists in the air - have you ever had your children give you give. i distinctly remembe your disdain for the "giving five" in college. has having little ones changed that?
Shane-
I had kind of forgotten about my aversion to the high five but upon reflection realize that I still don't partake! We do celebrate, mind you, just not by smacking our hands together.
so, if i were to meet your children and in our greeting, i asked them to give me 5, they would not know what to do? or would they look at you as though thinking, "mommy, this man is doing something we do not do - should i just be nice and partake so as not to hurt his feelings or should i just smile and say hello"
Shane-
Harper would give you a low-five. Hudson would get a sad look on his face and start crying because that is what he does when someone new dares to look at him.
Post a Comment