Monday, October 8, 2007

networking a l'enfant

At the park this morning, there were some older kids apparently enjoying a Columbus Day holiday from school. As their nannies chatted at a picnic table, the kids congregated on the jungle jim. One of the boys, a first grader (he later announced), climbed on top of the tunnel slide and shouted, "Who here has been to Cirque du Soleil?" He waited for a response, got none, and proclaimed, "Well, I have--at Disneyworld." A few minutes later, he and a couple of the girls, who appeared to be a little older (8 maybe), were digging a hole (which they later filled with a rather impressive amount of mud) in front of the swings and I heard this exchange:
Girl 1: At Pooh Corner, you can dig two feet down into the sandbox and there's a concrete bottom.
Cirque du Soleil Boy: You went to Pooh Corner? When?
Girl 2: I went there too.
So then they figured out if they knew some of the same people. It was like a cocktail party with mud instead of cosmopolitans. Pooh Corner, by the way, is THE preschool you go to in Houston if you want to go to THE prep school that will get you into Yale or Dartmouth or Smith.
On a less socially satirical note, I would like to show you a picture of what Harper's hair does when it's 99% humidity:
Sorry it's sideways--I'm not sure how to turn it. Anyway, can you see the ringlets? I was going to show you a picture of MY hair in the 99% humidity but it's just too depressing. Forty-five minutes with the Chi and it's still a wiry, poufy mess. And, seriously, there are MANY other things I ought to be doing with those 45 minutes.



1 comment:

Jamie said...

never too young to start making connections, I guess :)