Monday, October 15, 2007

mites, both dust and widows'

Here are some numbers I pondered over the weekend:

*TEN: number of years it takes for a mattress to DOUBLE its weight in dust mites and other debris (including insects, food particles and "other unpleasant matter")

*$172: price of the pair of jeans I tried on Saturday and really wanted to buy with some birthday money my parents gave me. They were great jeans, but I just couldn't do it because...

*$250: amount of money it takes for Operation Smile and other similar medical groups to repair a cleft palate in the Third World

*$95 million: amount of money Lakewood Church spent to turn the Compaq center into a church building

*$12 million: amount of money my church wants to raise in order to build a church building (it's been meeting in a local community college and, before that, an elementary school since it was started 10 years ago)

*$20 million: amount of money another local church wants to raise to expand/improve their current building

*508,001: number of children world-wide whose lives could be changed with a $250 surgery if just these three churches donated the cumulative proceeds from their building funds, and I donated my birthday money

I realize I'm being overly simplistic. I don't care. I just used the cleft palate example because there was an article about it in The Wall Street Journal last week. There are myriad other worthy causes. And I'm sorry about the repulsive mattress statistic. I just couldn't keep the fascinating nastiness of it to myself.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I think you made a great point in that it is easy to criticize those who want to spend crazy amounts of money to do what may or may not be biblical, but feel perfectly justified in spending my $20 on just me. The street runs both ways, doesn't it?

Bowser said...

I figured I'd comment since I do in fact read up on four of our favorite people in Houston! Thanks for the repulsive info about mattresses and for the link to buying a cow. Have a good day!