Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Why indeed.

Two days in a row! Let the frenzy commence! Saturday night, I was brushing out Harper's mane before her weekly hair washing, and she invited Helena to help with the brushing. Which is HUGE progress on the Maginot Line of the sibling antagonism. Helena was delighted and as she scampered into the room where we were, she had on one of her signature bohemian layered multi-floraled, many polka dotted outfits (not, incidentally, what she had been wearing last I had seen her just after dinner) and also, she had a pair of pink and green underpants on her head like a jaunty beret. As she began the brushing, Harper whispered out of the side of her mouth, "Mommy, do YOU know why she is wearing panties on her head?" and I confessed that I did not. Helena just smiled mysteriously and focused intently on her sisterly task.

At one of the prisons near our house (this is where I pause and let you giggle uncomfortably) there are pigs that we can see (and smell) as we drive past on the highway. I have never seen any actual prisoners there actually tending to the pigs, but in my mind, they are there early every morning, and they are the Prodigal Son. There are also corn fields and cotton fields and I picture the prisoners working and enjoying the feel of the soil, and imagining a day when they will have paid their debt, and they will come out better, and not worse. And they will run to their Father, who will throw a feast. Anyway, it invites good discussions with the kids, and one day Hudson proclaimed, "Prison sounds AWESOME! Can I GO there?" after I told them they get all the water they need, three meals a day, a weight room, and also probably a library.

We went to the symphony today. There was a composition called "Playground Escapades" that was supposed to Invite an Important Dialogue About Bullying. Those trumpets and their brassy mocking! Thankfully, the English horn stepped in to save the day, as only he can. We got home and Hudson asked, "Mommy, what is a bully?" and I told him it's a trumpet player who plays over the violins and cellos.

 See you tomorrow! I think I am officially on a roll.

1 comment:

Zoe said...

Love Hudson's prison comment. And the symphony bullying reminds me of the Danny Kaye movie "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty". There is a hilarious and impressive rendition of several instruments - but I think the villain is a french horn.