Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Crazy bird lady

Three days! Is that enough to make it a habit? At some point very soon, I am going to run out of words and also the patience it takes to post pictures from the old wheezy laptop.

I haven't mentioned the Big Year in a while, though it is still in progress. It is really going to be more of a small to medium sized year, but that is okay.  I also need to spend some time with the Audubon guide so that I don't have entries like #28 Swallow, #29 Other kind of swallow (without forked tail), and #30 Sparrow (House? Tree? Look this up) and #31 Other sparrow (black head? Or is this a chickadee?)


Anyway, we spent a few days with the grandparents Pate just before Easter, and we made yet another return to Shangri-La with my sister-in-law and nieces. Something very exciting was happening in Orange, Texas: the ROSEATE SPOONBILLS were NESTING. Also lots of herons (blue and white) and what I think were cormorants. We also took the boat ride this time. The kids really thought it was great, you can tell by Hudson's expression.Then on the way back to Houston, the kids and I decided to stop to spy on a rookery just off I-10 (east of the confluence of the Old and Lost Rivers) near Anahuac and there were MORE ROSEATE SPOONBILLS and boy, did they put on a show. My camera lens was woefully inadequate, but I have the picture of that big pink bird in flight with its long spoon shaped bill emblazoned in my mind. While we were marveling at the pink amazingness of the spoonbill, Hudson looked down from the viewing boardwalk and saw a 5 foot juvenile alligator. Then we spotted three more. Then there was a little blue heron flying by and I tried to get a picture while Helena leaned precariously over the railing, inches away from four alligators. It was an excellent day for birding. And alligatoring. And also turtle-ing:






g. 

No comments: