It was fun to look back and see what was going on when I finished it with Harper.
On another reading note, Blogger will not let me add any more library books to my sidebar list (a fact which I only discovered after typing in around 30 titles, which did not show up. Which made me bitter.) so I need a new system. Maybe even a new blog, just for lists of books we've read, categorized in a way that might be useful to me and maybe even you. It's a good idea. Let's see how long it takes to make it actually happen.
We've stayed home every day this week. Hudson had a fever on Monday, then a weird rash on his torso on Tuesday. He's fine now, but it is raining and it just seemed like so much work to figure out an indoor activity that doesn't cost lots of money. So the kids played out back with an umbrella, then they came in and practiced their heel kicks and hammer fists on boxes.They have a belt test in Taekwondo tomorrow. I really hope Hudson and his 36 pounds are going to be able to break the board.
The shirt Hudson is wearing in these pictures was what he bought for himself with the $10 the Grandparents Pate sent for Valentine's Day. I would have chosen differently. Thus far, I have mostly been able to convince him it is a staying at home shirt. It's interesting that he loves Ninjago even though he has never actually seen the show. How in the world did little boys even know what they were supposed to like before mass marketing strategies were emblazoned across t-shirts and Lego sets?
We got rid of cable a few months ago and I have not really missed it, other than an occasional late night longing for House Hunters International reruns. I still watch a couple of things free on-line, and the husband has bought a couple of things on itunes. I find I read more now, which is good I suppose.
We got an electric pencil sharpener. Finally.
Harper is learning to write in cursive. I am learning with her because I have always been dissatisfied with my cursive and, thus, I print. I think nice handwriting is something of a lost art. It's not the most important thing, of course, but since we have so much time on our hands, we can spend some of it on things that might just add a little unexpected beauty or creativity to our learning.
We spied a yellow-crowned night heron in a ditch in our neighborhood on Tuesday. They are pretty common in Houston, but it was still exciting. I have almost driven off the road several times in my zeal to identify birds that are flying overhead: "Is that a turkey vulture or a Cooper's hawk? CAN ANYONE SEE WHAT COLOR THE HEAD IS? (jerk the steering wheel) WHOA! THAT WAS CLOSE! WAIT--IS THAT A SCISSOR-TAILED FLYCATCHER UP THERE ON THE POWER LINE? HARPER? (jerk the steering wheel) WHOA!THAT WAS CLOSE!"

5 comments:
I have to confess, Patti. Abby & I abandoned the book somewhere in the 80's. She'd learned all the letters and sounds, so now we're just reading early readers. While she prefers it, there's no defining goal reached. I'll probably have her read lesson 100 and declare us done. That way she can have her sense of accomplishment.
We almost stopped as well. I feel like the last 20 lessons or so are fairly redundant, and having to read the story twice through each time was a TRIAL for the both of us.
I do confess that I was a little scared that there was something Scientific in The Method that, if not completed, would mean Hudson would secretly never read well.
Also, months ago, the Daddy had bought him a Lego Star Wars game for the wii that he could only use once he finished all the lessons.
I always feel that a mini-celebration should happen for the mother AND child when a book/level is completed. Just know I'm sending big hoorahs your way. Way to finish.
Hooray for Hudson's Big Accomplishment! Which means an even bigger hooray for your own accomplishment of helping him learn to read! I remember well the great sense of relief I felt when Josiah finished that book. I may or may not have decided that he didn't need to follow the directions exactly for all of the lessons. ;-)
You and my husband have something in common: you both are likely to wreck the car looking at birds! For Jeff, it's gazing at hawks, which are usually perched high in trees or on poles. He'll ask me, "Did you see that hawk??" And I'll be thinking, "Nope. SOMEBODY has to watch the road." ;-)
Congratulations on completion of 100 Easy Lessons! That's a big accomplishment! I REMEMBER when Harper completed it. (But can't remember a single thing on my calendar for tomorrow.) And, oh, a book blog. I'm going to nag you about it. Because I know you have the time to set it up - hours of free uninterrupted time b/c you're at home, right? And teaching your kids at home? So - why wouldn't this be possible since you don't actually WORK??? (I hope you know I'm kidding.)
So, I noticed in pictures of the house there's room to practice heel kicks and hammer fists on boxes. Let's just say I covet your space.
Post a Comment