Monday, April 8, 2013

How they sleep.

I think I got a record number of comments on that last post! Most of them from the two Mrs. B's being smart. Have I mentioned how thankful I am to have Friends Who Think? Because I am.

We met a group of friends in La Grange, Texas, yesterday afternoon for a gathering. I forgot the camera, which makes me sad. Mr. D told the husband that La Grange is the setting for the musical "Best Little Wh*rehouse in Texas." It was not chosen for that reason. It was chosen because it is about halfway between Houston and Austin/ San Antonio, where three of the families have moved in the past year or so. There was a rope swing over the Colorado River, and I partook. Is that even a word? It was peaceful, swinging like a pendulum over the river. I also saw a red bird on the opposite bank, but without binoculars I couldn't make a positive i.d. So, obviously I need some binoculars. Which, coupled with the fact that I overheard Mr. S having a conversation with another of the husbands about the merits of speed walking over jogging, means that we are officially a group of geriatrics. BRING me my BINOCOLARS Reginald! I am going for my daily speed walk/bird watching jaunt!

I don't have much more to write today, but thought I might document how each of the kids sleeps. Harper wraps her head in her pink blanket like a turban. It covers her eyes just slightly, and she takes a corner of it and lightly rubs it between her index and middle fingers as she falls asleep. She insists the closet door be closed, the ladybug constellation nightlight be turned on, and also the turtle night light in the hall. The Huffigan Johnigan has the blue blanket, which he scratches lightly with his fingernails while also (still) partaking of his thumb. They listen to the Baby Einstein classical lullabies cd that my friend Tara gave us when Hudson was born. Helena likes for all of us to do the motions to "The Grand Old Duke of York', then put on her Chapstick, then be tucked in, then kissed multiple times, then have her cd put back on the first song so she can go to sleep, also with her ladybug constellation nightlight and her door left open, please Mommy. Then she rolls over on her side, pops her two fingers in, and pinches a bit of sheet between the thumb and index finger of her other hand. 

Harper used her lap loom to weave herself a little purse over the weekend. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow. Last night as I was tucking them in I told them about Shakespeare and the  "sleep that knits up the ravelled sleeve of care." Hudson kept asking HOW exactly sleeping is like knitting. And I just told him to close his eyes and he would see.

Now that they are all snug in their beds, I should be in mine. Knitting up the ravelled sleeve.




1 comment:

Margie said...

Clearly I have some catching up to do. Laughed about the choice of La Grange - it WASN'T about the "place?" And you have children? Imagine.

Binoculars, yes. And readers.