Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Post thanks







Helena has a friend that only she can see and her name is Penuhpuh (pronounced PEN-uh-puh). We don't know much about Penuhpuh except her name, and that she might have a sister named Penuhpee. The other day we were at Target and we walked by a little girl who looked to be around 2 and she said, in a loud clear voice from inside a rack of coats, just as we walked by, "PENUHPUH!" Helena, who was riding in the cart, looked at me with delight and said, "Did she just say Penuhpuh??" and I laughed and conceded that it had certainly sounded like it. Perhaps it is a fairy world visible only to the very young.

We read Mary Poppins a month or so ago, and there is a chapter in which Jane and Michael's twin baby brother and sister (they don't make it into the movie) are able to talk to animals. Then the day they stop being babies (maybe on their first birthday? I can't remember exactly), they aren't able to do it anymore, and they have no memory of ever being able to. It made me a little sad, naturally.

We got to do this last Tuesday. That furry bit of adorable in Harper's lap is Gracie, who belongs to The B's grandmother Mrs. Y (who is already very beloved by my kids because of her generous nature, her lovely swimming pool, and her two parrots):

We got all packed up to go see the Grandparents Pate bright and early on Thanksgiving day, and after about 15 minutes on the road, Hudson threw up. Thankfully, he gave us some warning AND the always prepared husband had stuffed a garbage bag between the car seats, which I managed, with my extensive Krav Maga training, to get under Hudson's chin just in time. We came back home to clean up, waited a few hours, then tried again. We made it sans puke, but ended up staying only about 24 hours because Hudson got punier and punier (more throwing up and a fever) and the girls got a touch of it as well. Though I still think Harper mainly just wanted to eat saltines and have an excuse to watch movies. We found out later that it was actually a good thing we'd had to go back home Thursday morning. We were spared the horrific traffic after a terrible wreck on I-10 that was directly on the route to my parents'. See? Sometimes we can even be thankful for a vomit episode in the car.

And I will close with the first in a photo series I call Not the Christmas Card Photo:
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the lovely girl standing next to Harper the daughter of a tall, blonde mutual friend of ours? Because she is the spitting image.

LG

Patti said...

Indeed it is! I used to think she looked so much like Mr. B, but as she grows, she does more and more favor Our Mutual Friend. We love and miss our B's and are always so glad to reunite.

Margie said...

Thanksgiving and puke: they go together. Actually, we were puke-free this year, but the horror of the every-five-minutes-for-five-hours-straight Thanksgiving of two years ago is never far from my mind. I feel pukey illnesses lurking around every corner this time of year. BUT - immeasurable blessing that you avoided the wreck. A wondrous gift, indeed.