Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Slip sliding away

Well, how about this! Three days in a row. I think the most pertinent thing that happened today is that I fell down the stairs this morning. Thankfully, it was only 5 steps from the bottom and I did, indeed, fall on my bottom and not face forward. It is, however, surprisingly painful to fall down only five steps. I am going to have a monstrous bruise on my hip, there seems to be some sort of toe strain involving the fourth metatarsal of my left foot, and I'm pretty sure I wrenched both shoulders out of their respective sockets in the process of reaching back to try to stop myself. I think there are four specific things to blame:

 1. I had just woken up and had not had any coffee,
 2. I was awake until midnight last night watching people debate colors on a map,
 3. I was wandering around aimlessly because I could faintly hear a child calling for help in a bathroom, but my morning deafness impeded my ability to discern which child in which bathroom, and
4. My new birthday houseslippers. There was a serious malfunction. I now have a working theory that many falls of the elderly which result in hip fractures could be directly linked to malfunctions of comfy house slippers. Maybe I will write an email to the CDC requesting an epidemiological study. Then I will be published and will qualify for tenure.

 I was also forced to concede that, though I still have not figured out how to vacuum them properly, which has caused me to complain, I am exceeding glad for the carpet on the stairs. It would have hurt so much worse without it.


 I think that is it for today. We finished reading The Tale of Despereaux and we all enjoyed it. Hudson in particular is a little nervous about the idea of a dungeon, but we are all very glad that Despereaux prevailed against the darkness in the end. Harper even made a Despereaux out of a tiny mouse she had on hand:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you survived your fall. I am very much enjoying your daily posts! You are providing me with a very nice break from work! So, keep it up, friend! Twil

Margie said...

Stairs: I have some stories. Am not elderly and am totally convinced slippers are to blame for many accidents. And glad to hear about Despereaux; the movie looks frightening, but the book is, perhaps, a bit better? It DID win a medal, after all. Glad you were not badly injured in your fall.

Patti said...

We will not be watching the movie. From the description, it has very little to do with the book. How surprising.