Man who kidnapped girlfriend had ring in one hand, Taser in the other.
I laughed, then realized that might be how we've gone about looking for a church this time around. We are realistic in our expectations, I think. We tell ourselves that there isn't going to be a perfect place, and if there were, they certainly wouldn't want any miserable sinners like us to join up. Even with realistic expectations, I've still been disappointed. BUT I've also been encouraged--the church is diverse and wide and (hopefully) deep. It's all very confusing. We can't even decide on a denomination!! Or a style of worship! I mean, I know what I would prefer, but I wonder if God is altogether impressed with my preferences factoring into my decision. The husband and I pieced together an Ideal Bride (teacher from one church, pastor from another, music guy from yet another, weekly communion service from here, embracing kids in the worship from there, attitude towards the least from there..) and laughed at the implausibility of all those disparate elements ever joining up in one Body. It would likely require both a ring and a Taser to get that bride to agree.
Okay then. I think that is it for today. I'm going to let the kids help me make a pumpkin pie to take to Grandmother Pate's house. Here's a poorly lit picture of those three one night last week, the first night they thought it might be cold enough for fleecy footy pj's. I don't want to forget that this is where we end most nights, in Helena's room. We turn on her cd and sing "The Grand Old Duke of York" with hand motions, because it is the song that comes just before her lullabies. She hops in her bed and the other two march upstairs for their big kid read aloud time.Pleasant little routines. There is much for which to be thankful.

No comments:
Post a Comment