Harper's Fascination With All Things Equine continues, so what a happy coincidence that yesterday was kids get in free day at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. Of course "kids get in free" becomes something of a moot point when you have to pay $7 for parking, and $6 for a 4 minute pony ride. But the weather was beautiful, we were with our dear friends, and no one stopped us from wandering around inside the horse arena, where we saw blacks and bays, dapples and grays. We watched some cowboys (and girls) in a cutting competition, in which they, and their horses (Quarter horses, we learned) separate a calf from the herd. Poor little calf does not want to be separated from its herd, so cutting is pretty tricky. Hudson was very concerned when he heard the term 'cutting' and then the term 'herd,' because he thought I was saying 'hurt.' WHY are they hurting the calves, Mommy??
Llama llama liked Helena:
I would have taken more pictures in the petting zoo but I had to keep Helena from putting her hand inside of a goat's mouth while simultaneously evading a baby deer who wanted nothing more than to eat my chambray dress.
Harper came home and drew a picture of her beloved:

2 comments:
That's a super-good picture of a horse! We missed the Livestock Show and Rodeo here b/c of the snow and ice and it bums me out. I have petting zoo pictures from every year since E was 2. And even though I've explained why we didn't go this year, they continue to respond with sort of pitiful whimpers. And next year they might be too old for it. But maybe not.
I agree with Margie - very good picture of a horse. It's actually identifiable! ;-)
Harper is a very fortunate girl to have some of her equine dreams come true while she is young. Sometimes, little girls have to wait until they're big girls to fulfill those kinds of fantasies...and then they take riding lessons when they're 31...and it's fun...and then they discover they're pregnant with their 3rd child...and then they stop the lessons so as not to fall from the horse and hurt the child...and then they never take lessons again, because if anyone in the family gets lessons, it's one of the children and not the mama...but she wouldn't have it any other way. Not that I'm speaking from personal experience or anything... ;-)
My boys can relate to Hudson and his misunderstanding of language related to animals. I can't even count how many times I've said something about a sheep bleating, and all the boys look at me with sad and tragic faces, assuming I've said "bleeding."
Post a Comment