Monday, February 28, 2011

dust devils

Today is stay-at-home-and-clean day, so I decided to tackle Hudson's floor in his room because I could not remember the last time I had, and I realized last night that perhaps that might explain the spasmodic sneezing episode I had every time I walked in there AND the fact that he has a spasmodic coughing episode each night when he gets in bed. Since we don't have a garage, Hudson's room, by virtue of being the biggest bedroom, has become the parking spot for all of our wheeled toys. So I had the kids wheel out the two bikes, two tricycles, two scooters, schoolbus pushtoy, two shopping carts, one baby stroller, AND a large fleet of trucks. And I can barely speak of the filth that I encountered once I could actually see the floor. It was appalling and made me think of an article I read a few weeks ago about some study that showed that kids whose moms don't work outside the home are healthier, in part, because their mothers have more time to clean the house. HAH. So I hung my head in shame, sneezed 6 or 7 times, opened a window, turned on an episode of "Little Bear," and got to work. After 3 Swiffer pads I decided the floors looked much better and debated taking the rugs out to pound them. I opted for leaving them there and just running the vacuum over them because "Little Bear" was over and there were snacks to dole out. Then I decided to be finished and we rode bikes to the park, because it is sunny and in the upper 70's here in Houston.

I got two new floppy sunhats for myself. I know I look ridiculous in them and I just don't care.

Harper has decided she loves horses this week. She has been dragging this Radio Flyer horse around the entire house, sometimes stopping for a quick ride. She grooms it and talks to it in a low, sweet voice. She feeds it carrots and apples and popsicles. We have had the horse since the Christmas she was 2 and it has been largely ignored up until now. I went through a horse phase at some point too, which culminated, much to my delight, in my getting to choose our summer vacation to a dude ranch.

Hudson got some new Keens ($45 marked down to $16 at Nordstrom Rack!! Where all of our shoes dreams come true, apparently) and he claims they make him jump higher and run faster and that he can now do a backflip off a rocky precipice into the ocean, just like Bear Grylls.
He does insist on wearing them with socks and, really, who am to call fashion faux pas. Have you SEEN my floppy sun hats?

We were listening to a Veggie Tales cd in the car a couple of days ago and I realized how annoyed I am by songs that mention Satan. I mean, WHY? Satan, for example, is not strolling around blowing out This Little Light of Mine. Nor is he sitting on a tack and then yelling, "Ouch!" because he doesn't like that we've got the joy, joy, joy joy, down in our hearts. I guess the kids are a bit young for The Screwtape Letters, but come on.

Cute girl in toile dress. Hiding it under a bushel? NO!

5 comments:

Robin said...

I was going to answer you on my blog, but I'll do it here just to assure you see it.

All of The Avett Brothers cds are good, but some are more polished than others.

The first cd we listened to was Emotionalism. I think that's a good one to start with. It's polished (for them) and lyrical...and awesome. And still has plenty of banjo!

If you like that one, then I think Mignonette is excellent as is Four Thieves Gone. Oh and so are The Gleam and The Second Gleam.

I And Love and You is their most recent album (not including the live album that came out last year), and is very polished and more mainstream. While I like it a lot, it is not my favorite.

So uh....all that to say: download Emotionalism

I hope you like them!

****
To make this comment relevant to your post, I can't even remember the last time I have cleaned our floors. It's sad. I really should mop our kitchen.

Patti said...

You are allowed to ignore your floors for AT LEAST the first year when you have a baby. AT LEAST. Although when they start crawling the guilt compounds a little.

Thanks for the Avett recs!

Margie said...

As for my house-keeping ways, I say I'm building immunity in my kids. Haven't you heard about the latest study that farm kids have less allergies and asthma than "protected" city kids? So I justify the dust and unmopped floors (am SO GLAD to read Robin's comment abotu mopping), as - you know - in some way desireable.

Davene Grace said...

Confession is good for the soul...and I'm so glad you ladies confessed your housecleaning shortcomings. I feel so much better. ;-)

I had to laugh about all of this because of what I wrote in a post a few days ago about not noticing the dirt until I started cleaning. I'd rather be an ostrich with my head in the sand, I guess.

How about if you post a picture of yourself in a floppy sun hat, and we'll tell you what we think? :) Have you seen my husband's hat he wears when he works in the garden? Talk about a fashion faux pas! :)

Robin said...

I just wanted to add that I swept my kitchen floor TWICE last week. No mopping though. Maybe I'll get around to it when my mom visits next month.