1. four loads of laundry, including all of the sheets.
2. washed bathmats and mopped bathroom floors.
3. Also cleaned toilets and sinks.
4. And vacuumed (Harper had to help with this because she was riding her bike in circles through the front room as I was scurrying around with my swiffer and she commented, "You are like the little red hen and we are like the lazy animals!" So, I put her immediately to work.)
5. Swiffered Hudson's room.
6. A tiny bit of dusting.
Also, we did NOT turn on the television ONCE! (more about this later, but we have almost completely cut out the t.v. watching and it makes me feel better about life in general and the kids, after a couple of days of withdrawal, don't seem to miss it much). The big kids played nicely inside and outside.
So, I could end this post here and you would think, "WOW! Impressive." But. Let's talk about some of the things that happened while I was so productive. Well, Helena stuck her hand in a pile of disgustingness that I had just swiffered up from Hudson's room and the hall. Then she followed me into Harper's room and stuck her hand right into the disgustingness that I found on the window sills when I dared lift the disgustingly dusty black-out curtains. So then I put her in her room and put the baby gate on her door. She wept like Jeremiah while I mopped the bathroom floors. I let her out. I opened a window while I dusted and had to prop it up with a sawed off broom handle because the windows are 55 years old and won't stay open on their own. I was dusting the television and Hudson somehow managed to knock the sawed off broom handle off while he was sticking his head through the window to say hello, and the blasted thing slammed down on his neck like a guillotine. Thankfully, I was right there to release him but he was pretty sad and wept like Jeremiah for about 10 minutes. Then I realized that all of the dust was about to cause me to lapse into anaphylaxis so I took two Benadryl. Then I made lunch and got Hudson and Helena down for their naps. I realized that two Benadryl is maybe one too many and that I might just lie down on the couch for a minute and rest my eyes. I fell into a medically-induced coma that last one and a half hours. Then Harper and I did our reading. Then the other two woke up and I commenced again to the spring cleaning. I put Helena in the sand box and went to switch some clothes into the dryer. There was a loud bang and I realized that Helena had tried to remove the sawed off broomstick from the window (because, yes, I was idiotic enough not to learn my lesson after the guillotine incident. My need for fresh air superceded appropriate parenting, apparently) and the window had landed on her poor baby hand. She wept, yet, again, like Jeremiah. Her hand appeared relatively unscathed, thankfully. I left the window down this time. Then the husband got home. Then he left to go on a quick grocery run. The big kids had dinner outside, which they've asked to do for months and I always say no. I got Helena down from her high chair and stepped out into the back yard to tell Harper and Hudson to finish up and come inside. I tried to come back inside and the door was locked. I didn't know Helena could reach the dead bolt. She can. The window was also locked because the husband had locked it emphatically as I told him about the series of unfortunate window events. After she locked the door Helena went straight to my desk and got my camera and started pushing all the buttons and came to the window to show me.I'm glad the memory card was in the computer because if it had not been, I feel certain she would have erased the entire thing, thus obliterating an entire year of poorly focused, badly lit Hinze family memories. The husband got home a few minutes later and just shook his head as he let us in.
It's a day for The Annals of Perfect Mothering, for sure.

5 comments:
Oh Patti THANK GOD YOU SHARED THIS....as it often reads beautifully and perfectly your blog...while mine would be on a daily basis a bit like yours today....less washing down and drying and more of the incidents and accidents....:)) You mad eme chuckle while having me coffee...
Thank you from the bottom of my heart!! Mums days are surley always perfect bliss....
If it makes you feel like you've got company, I was putting mail in the post and noticed the car backing up into a tree (w/ Aiken inside). Fortunately I just made it there in time to push the parking brake. The Husband would've been quite thrilled had it required a mechanic.
Oh my, I am feeling tired just reading of your busy, productive day! I love it when the cleaning bug bites me and I just must clean and mop and launder things. It is cleansing for the soul, as well as the house!
I liked this post so much I came by to read it again this morning.
My now very mobile 8 month old is exhausting me. Last week, I busted out the pack n play in the living room, so I could fix lunch for myself. Then I sat on the ground beside him and ate in peace without him climbing up and down the stairs or eating some shoes or pulling things off the shelf. It was nice to just sit.
I still have yet to mop my kitchen. I sweep but not mop. It's on my to-do list though.
Hey, Patti! I found your blog via Margie @ But Be Like The Sun. I love this post. My son is 11yo old now but I well remember the days when he was such a whirlwind. Actually, he still is. A play yard was never an option for us because our house is so tiny. I remember complaining to other moms about how I couldn't get one room clean and move to the other, without the first one looking like a tornado hit it in just a few minutes. They never seemed to understand, so, sadly, I decided that my situation must be unique. Bless you for keeping it real!
Post a Comment