Helena just banged around on my keyboard and managed to make everything on the screen look stretched out wide. It's driving me pretty crazy and I have no idea how to fix it but rest assured that the husband will get home, touch the mouse pad in some magical way, and what is horizontal will again be properly vertical.
It was his birthday yesterday, that man of mine. He is, at 35, a half decade younger than his wife. The kids and I went to REI and they chose a Bear Grylls knife for him and he was pleased. He will use it for camping and other assorted survival scenarios that he encounters on a daily basis here in the wilds of Houston. We had dinner at Escalante's and we all were pleased.
We took the kids and toured a school yesterday morning. It's a university-model classical school, which means two days a week of group instruction from a teacher who is not me, and the other three days at home working to practice and cement the trivium. We all liked what we saw, especially Harper, who said, "I want to go to this school because there are monkey bars." So, grammar, logic, rhetoric, monkey bars--got it. We don't know if we are actually considering the school seriously or not, but it was useful and inspirational to see how it works.
The husband's work gave him a pedometer for his birthday and I have been wearing it around. It's fascinating, and rather obsessive business, counting one's daily steps. I walked over a thousand steps getting dinner and baths night before last. And we went on a quick zoo jaunt today (and got there and realized that all of Houston had the same idea) and I walked 4,601 steps. I'm hoping I will be inspired to move a bit more. I gained around 4 pounds in a week after partaking of the SIX Crave cupcakes the husband brought home (I asked for a single one--he is exponentially generous when it comes to most things) on Valentine's Day. It was a slippery slope to Raisinettes and then Milk Duds and then quite a load of bagels and cream cheese and then, for the grand finale, an entire jumbo box of Junior Mints followed by an entire pint of Haagen Daaz on Fat Tuesday. I try not to weigh myself every day (and especially not after the aforementioned Junkfest 2011) but I find a step onto the scale every few days is a good reminder to return to healthy habits. And, from past experience I know that 4 pounds very quickly turns into 14, then 40, then 400 and then you might find yourself standing on a floor scale in bike shorts getting weighed on national television. Okay, that last one never happened to me, but I feel pretty capable of it, if we're honest. So, this calls for a time of abstention, dovetailing nicely with the liturgical calendar.
I realized (somewhere around step 1,762) today that Hudson has learned to skip. I can't recall if it is early or late or right on time, but I do know that I did not teach him. Good for you, little skipper! He wanted to see the new baby giraffe and he admired her and said, "She is so tyoot!" which is very tyoot in and of itself. He's been going through a not-so-tyoot phase of getting frustrated and threatening to throw the object of his frustration "IN THE TRASH!" For example, "Harper got the red and blue spoon! I'm going to frwow ALL the spoons IN THE TRASH!" I wonder if anyone else's kids squibble and squabble over ridiculous things like spoon and cup color and whether or not there is a picture of a baby on their yogurt container?

3 comments:
So my first comment on your blog (which I've been following for months even though I've never commented) will be to tell you that yes, other children do care DEEPLY about whether or not there is a picture of a baby on their yogurt container.
You've got to be referring to those four-packs of YoBaby yogurt, which have a baby on ONLY THREE OF FOUR packs. Why? Why? It took Caroline approximately two months of yogurt-eating before she realized this, and now she refuses to eat the ones without the baby. That's right. No baby, no yogurt.
I have seriously considered writing the company about this.
Very glad to have you here, Mrs. D!!
Well, it just so turns out that Harper and Hudson covet the ONE withOUT the baby on it!! Helena loves the baby and wants to kiss it and feed it yogurt and the other two have been known to actually CRY if they had to eat the yogurt from the baby-festooned carton.
The law of supply and demand is clearly at play here.
It really makes me want to pull out The Children in Africa Who Eat Their Yogurt Out Of Their Cupped, Dirty Palms, but I refrain.
Loved Escalante's when I lived in H., and ate there often. It's a perfect place for a birthday dinner. And I have wanted a pedometer for years. Forgot, actually - but now I think I must track one down. I don't think that today, for instance, I sat down except for the 10 minutes it took to eat lunch.
I had no idea, until I read the other comments, that Yo-Baby was like that. My girls were too small to notice, I suppose, and I was too tired. They used to get excited about answering Dora's questions on her yogurt cups, but now they just eat it, happiest most of all that they can pull the foil off the top without any help.
Post a Comment