Friday, November 30, 2007

itsy, bitsy spider

We're in the car coming home from the Galleria and Harper starts singing "The Itsy Bitsy Spider." This is not unusual. It's a favorite. However, it is ONLY sung (and this is important) when she has seen a spider. I assume she must have seen a spider on a billboard and don't pay much attention. When she's singing the 5th refrain I ask, "Where did you see a spider, Harper?" It's on the window, Mommy, by Hudson's head, she explains. This is a little startling, so I turn around for a quick glance. And there it is, right where she said. Only I can't tell if it's inside the car or outside. I'm going 55mph on the highway and it's a trifle difficult to get the appropriate vantage point. I exit to head home, all the while taking quick glances to make sure the spider is staying put. When I stop at a red light I can finally take a good long look. Only the spider is gone. I panic a little.
"Harper, can you still see the spider?"
"Yes, m'am."
"Oh," I say, trying not to sound anxious, "Where is it? Is it on Hudson's carseat?"
"Um, it's on Hudson's face." (she is casual, a little curious maybe)
"Harper, are you telling Mommy the truth? Is there a spider on Hudson's face?"
"It's on Hudson's head."
So.
I careen into a bank parking lot, leap out of the car, run around to Hudson's side and...there is the spider. On the door. OUTSIDE of the car. I check Hudson just to make sure there weren't two of them working in tandem like those European pickpockets. He was spider-free. I get back in the car and put on Stern Voice.
"Harper, Hudson did NOT have a spider on his face. You need to tell Mommy the truth. Do you understand what that means?"
"Yes, m'am."
We talked a little more about The Nature of Truth. I'm pretty sure she didn't get it. Next time I should probably skip the Kierkegaard reference.

4 comments:

bethany said...

I love that she only sings the song when she sees a spider.

Kyle, Mel, and Samuel, and Noah said...

Hi Patti!
Jodey talked to Kyle tonight and gave me your blog address!! I love reading about you and your kiddos!
I am proud to say that today I finally started a blog, but I haven't posted anything yet...I'm still trying to figure it all out :)
Your family is adorable! Do y'all have any plans to move to Dallas ?? :) Samuel would love to have a cute girlfriend and I think I could use your help with this potty training stuff!
I'll send you my blog address when I get it going!!!
:) :) ~Mel

Jo said...

This is just to see if the comments work.

Shane said...

best line of the post "like those European pickpockets" - brilliant