Monday, September 3, 2007

Ahem.














Well. Some introductions to begin, I suppose. All the David Copperfield (Dickens, not the magician) cr*p, as our friend Holden Caulfield would say. He was rather profane. Just a shield. There, see, already I digress into literary commentary. Remembrance of things past. I don't read much these days. Books for grownups, that is. I read (aloud) Mother Goose, Elmo's First Babysitter, Caps for Sale, and, this week's obsession, The Tale of Peter Rabbit. (I skip the part about Peter's mother being a widow because his father ended up in Mrs. McGregor's pie.) I am a wife and mother. Wife of one, mother of two. Harper is two and a quarter, Hudson is seven months. Apparently, "mommy blogs" are quite the thing these days, making up a considerable majority of the blogosphere. I read an article about it. I think political blogs run a distant second. Maybe I'll write about politics too. I like this Mike Huckabee fellow from (wince) Arkansas. I don't know much about him except that I read in an article that he used to be pretty fat and now he's thin. He went on a diet and exercised. Probably good preparation for the Oval Office. My husband set this blog up for me because he is 5 years my junior and, therefore, exponentially more tech-savvy than I. I am a Luddite. I'm not sure EXACTLY who Ludd was, but I know that Luddites eschew technology, or maybe are afraid of it, or maybe feel superior to it. I've only seen it used in context--in New York Times articles. You see a pattern emerging--I read articles. Lots of them. I read World magazine cover to cover each week. The Houston Chronicle each Sunday. First Things when I'm needing something a bit more strenuous. I used to read lots of books. Now I take naps and read articles. And blogs. That's enough for a first post.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Hi Patti--I'm so glad you are in the blog world and that we got a chance to meet you the other day. Just have fun with it and take ideas from other people's blogs (that's what I do!) I've added you to our blogroll--can't wait to read more :) --Jamie

Jo said...

I am ashamed. The only current events I'm up on are the ones that happen to the ridiculous celebrities. How can I waste my time and brain power (not money - only what pops up on the home page)on such things? I tried to put "Leave it to Psmith" on hold - library doesn't carry it. I will be reading "Gilead" soon, though.

I'm there with you on P&P. Definitely the book I've read the most...not sure if it's my all time favorite. There are too many good ones. Worse book ever read that I was 'supposed' to like: "On the Road". I'd rather watch "How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days"...a greater waste than reading about Britney's demise.

Laura said...

Hi Patti,
I saw your comment on Jamie's blog and found yours. So excited to see what you guys do during the week! Mom blogs are big...I was never interested in one until I was pregnant. And even then it took me a while before I was comfortable with posting pictures and arranging everything. You'll catch on quick!
Laura Wimberly

Bowser said...

Patti, Congrats and well done so far. No baby yet. We are going to Lion King tomorrow night with the school. Will update the blog soon. I have so much to talk about...maybe multi-posts will ensue.
Bowsers