Saturday, September 8, 2007

Kiwi Apples



Harper and I shared an apple at breakfast. The sticker on the apple had lots of information: organic, Fuji, New Zealand. If I'd had a world map on the wall (which I've been intending to do for a while now) I would have shown her just how far that apple had traveled. So, I guess it's nice that we can get any kind of fruit or vegetable just about year around now that the world is so small and all, but is this a GOOD thing? I read about a new book by Barbara Kingsolver (she wrote The Poisonwood Bible which I read years ago. I remember it being, forgive the pun, a little bitter. For a great book written by another bitter former missionary kid--wow, do you suppose that's an authentic literary sub-genre?--read The Good Earth instead) in which she chronicles the year she and her husband and kids spent living on a farm eating only what they could grow themselves or could buy that had been grown locally. No apples in September for them. Or strawberries in January. I probably want to read it. This picture is Harper trying to wink. Everything on her plate came from California, incidentally.

No comments: