Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Raspberry Hair

We've had some communication problems today. I was stirring Harper's yogurt this morning and I mentioned that I could see the raspberries in there and, oh boy, some pears are in there too! and Harper said, looking dismayed, "Hairs?" "Not H-H-Hairs," I assured her, "P-ears." "Hairs?" she said again, growing concerned. "P-P-P-Pears," I said, trying to stay upbeat. I finally convinced her that YoBaby doesn't even MAKE raspberry-hair flavored yogurt. While she ate her yogurt she got really excited about something and she kept saying it. It sounded like 'green tiger'.
Me: What about the green tiger?
Harper: Not green tiger, Mommy, GREEN tiger.
Me: I'm sorry Harper, I can't understand you--are you saying 'grandfather'?
Harper: (slower this time, a trifle exasperated) No, NOT grandfather, green TIGER.

I still don't know what she was saying. Usually I can get her to give me a little context and I can figure it out. I think I might be losing my hearing. I was thinking today about my high school student council sponsor, Mr. Lionel Rowland. The poor fellow really needed a hearing aid and you'd say something like, "I think we need to do a fund raiser," and he'd say, as if it were a completely reasonably request for a student council meeting, "So you say you want to go to the zoo to see an alligator?" We got lots of mileage out of poor Mr. Rowland. Have I become Mr. Rowland?
My parents were here yesterday and we went swimming. Harper leaned a little too far out of her floaty and got a face full of water. At dinner she was remembering it and asked, "What happened to Harper Anne?" I asked what she thought had happened. "My face went under the water," she said, looking a little apprehensive. I told her she was okay because grandfather had been right there to help her. Today she was talking about it again and she said, "Harper Anne's face was under the water but it's okay because grandfather was right there to help me!" Isn't that something that at this stage in their verbal development we can even shape their memories for them??

No comments: