It is telling that when I went looking for a picture of Hudson sleeping, this was the most recent one I found. It's from around 5 months ago. The boy has certainly slept since then. In fact, he naps well most days (2 naps, each around 2 hours), and will even tease us into thinking he's going to achieve Sleep Through The Night Status by doing it several nights at a stretch. Then he decides he's had enough of the extended quiet of night. And he must make his displeasure evident. By screaming. Which wouldn't be a big deal if he had his own wing. Or even his own room. Technically he HAS a room--the walk-in closet in our bedroom is all his. It's just that it is 4 feet away from my sleeping head. So when he is awake, we are awake. Last night my sweet husband shared one of his earbuds with me (he's been sleeping with either earplugs or white noise/music/podcasts since Harper was a baby) and from 2:30 to 4am we listened to a hilarious podcast called "Catholics in a Small Town." It was consolation, but we. are. tired. Tonight will be better. He will wake up and instead of thinking to himself, "Well, I believe I'd like a little snack and snuggle from the mother and I will, therefore, let out a most impressive wail until this comes to pass," he will think, "I will honor my mother at this moment by sucking my thumb and drifting back to sleep." Let it be, let it be.
Thursday, September 13, 2007
To Sleep, perchance.
It is telling that when I went looking for a picture of Hudson sleeping, this was the most recent one I found. It's from around 5 months ago. The boy has certainly slept since then. In fact, he naps well most days (2 naps, each around 2 hours), and will even tease us into thinking he's going to achieve Sleep Through The Night Status by doing it several nights at a stretch. Then he decides he's had enough of the extended quiet of night. And he must make his displeasure evident. By screaming. Which wouldn't be a big deal if he had his own wing. Or even his own room. Technically he HAS a room--the walk-in closet in our bedroom is all his. It's just that it is 4 feet away from my sleeping head. So when he is awake, we are awake. Last night my sweet husband shared one of his earbuds with me (he's been sleeping with either earplugs or white noise/music/podcasts since Harper was a baby) and from 2:30 to 4am we listened to a hilarious podcast called "Catholics in a Small Town." It was consolation, but we. are. tired. Tonight will be better. He will wake up and instead of thinking to himself, "Well, I believe I'd like a little snack and snuggle from the mother and I will, therefore, let out a most impressive wail until this comes to pass," he will think, "I will honor my mother at this moment by sucking my thumb and drifting back to sleep." Let it be, let it be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment