Friday, September 28, 2007

Cinema Lament

If you looked at my profile you might have said to yourself, "Why, it seems as though she stopped watching movies in 1995." I think that's when the long BBC version of "Pride and Prejudice" came out. My other favorites are even older--I'm pretty sure "The Mission," "Amadeus," and "Glory" were made in the late '80's. And "Chariots of Fire" goes back even further. The thing is, I haven't stopped watching movies. I actually watch lots of movies, though rarely in the theater these days. I just don't like many of them. There are movies I appreciate (like the Lord of the Rings trilogy--those were pretty to look at and well-made) and movies I think are funny or have well-developed characters or good performances or, RARELY, good writing (any of the three Whit Stillman films--actually, no, just the first two), but there haven't been any that have something transcendent about them. OR there are those that are powerful, but they are so heavy laden with violence or sex or profanity that you feel like you need a dip in a ceremonial mikvah bath when you're finished. And you feel like you can't recommend them without substantial caveats, and, let's face it, if there have to be caveats, you probably shouldn't be watching it OR recommending it. I like bio-pics (though J. doesn't) but I always feel like I've been bamboozled when I actually read about the person and discover that some key plot point was total fiction. Ugh, and romantic comedies are just down-right dumb these days. "Music and Lyrics" and its ilk make me want to sue someone to get my two hours back. So, I am ready for your suggestions. What am I missing?

3 comments:

Jamie said...

I hear you--we hardly ever watch movies and if we do, it's from the $1 DVD kiosk at HEB. That way we have only wasted time instaed of time and money.

Also, I'm glad to hear that Hudson has found some inspiration in Asher. And yes, I would keep the badge picture out of sight. Although it was an unfortunate accident, Asher still deeply regrets it and would feel horribly if Hudson thought he endorsed that kind of thing (he doesn't, by the way.)

Laura said...

We have gotten to a place where we feel like we can not recommend movies either. We do watch a lot of them though, but like you, I have found that lately (especially in the romantic comedy realm) a lot of movies are pretty disappointing. We both really liked Stranger Then Fiction so maybe I could recommend that one...maybe.
PS- You, of course, can link our blogs on yours if you want to. =)

Patti said...

Hi Laura! I actually DID really enjoy "Stranger Than Fiction"! I even recommended it to people who I thought might appreciate it. Thanks for reminding me. I especially liked the dozen flours. And Will Ferrell was so pleasantly toned down. (kind of like Jim Carrey in "The Truman Show")