Tuesday, November 22, 2016

The dog got sick and very nearly DIED

I realized I have missed two Mondays in a row. I should also confess that the Couch to 5K has been more couch than 5K. Let's blame it all on Sasha. After 6 years of good health, poor girl got really and very ILL. She got a high fever, was shivering nonstop, and basically quit eating and drinking for several days. She would barely move and even stopped barking (!) which is when I knew things were grave. She wouldn't even eat a scrambled egg, which is her number one favorite food. At one point, the husband had her in a wrestling hold and I was squirting pedialyte into her mouth with a syringe. Finally, on Tuesday, I decided we had to go to the vet. I generally avoid our vet, because they lecture me about things like flu vaccines and $800 teeth cleaning, and frankly, I get enough of that from my pediatrician and dentist re: my human children. So, instead of going to the $800 teeth cleaning vet, I decided to drive a little further to a vet some friends had recommended because he is a good, old-fashioned country vet, and also cheap. His office is in a strip center, and when we drove up, the kids were cutting their eyes at me, wondering if we were going to actually go in. There was plywood covering the entire entrance, and when we got in, there was yellow caution tape everywhere, walls near collapse, and 2x4s holding up the ceiling. Oh, and a live parrot! After a few minutes, I finally asked the ladies behind the desk, "Soooo, what happened here?" and it turns out, a couple of months ago, an 83 year old lady accidentally drove her car through the front of the office! And getting it fixed hasn't really been a priority? evidently.. Anyway, the actual vet was out tending to some horses, but one of the raspy voiced techs took Sasha's temperature (104.7!) proclaimed her affliction was probably viral, and gave her a shot. She was better within hours, I got no lectures about flu vaccines OR her nasty teeth, and the whole business cost a mere $45. While I was waiting to pay, we noticed  a lady in the waiting room with a crate of 4 tiny King Charles spaniel puppies. They were adorable,  and the kids were getting many ideas about adding to our general menagerie. A lady next to her asked how much they cost. Twenty-seven fifty, she answered in a quiet voice. Harper reported she definitely has enough in her piggy bank to buy one, or even two, of those puppies. Except the lady meant TWO THOUSAND,SEVEN HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS. Can you even imagine? The people who buy those dogs will gladly shell out $800 for a teeth cleaning.

We've had lots of school activities and projects. Hudson studied and did a presentation on Nikola Tesla. He was confident and magnificent. He was a little grumpy, when his classmate Mara, who was Thomas Edison, claimed Edison was granted over 2,000 patents, while Tesla only had around 300. Comparison is the thief of joy, Nikola. You have a cool car company named after you.


Helena was Wendy for the Peter Pan book party, which went off fairly smoothly, in spite of the fact that I have very poor managerial skills, and also my headdress craft was way too complicated to do in a dark gym with only Christmas lights to see by. Something funny I want to remember: there is a very sweet mom in Helena's grade who thinks my name is Paige. And she is a name caller. So she always greets me with a cheery,"Hi PAIGE!" and then uses it over and over in our conversations. I haven't corrected her because I actually always liked the name Paige, and kind of wished my parents had chosen it instead of Patti (it was their second choice), and also, it has been so long now, I know she would be really embarrassed if I corrected her. She has 5 children under the age of 7, and I think the fact that she is even close is impressive.
 On this same day, Harper had a big science project due, and I've realized I took no pictures of it. I will remedy that before next week, barring any canine illness.

One last thing. I got to hold dear baby Ephraim for a nice long while today, and also delight in the company of his dear mom, who, it is possible, I never would have met but for blogging. So, one of the many things to be thankful for this week. Blessings all mine and ten thousand beside!

No comments: