Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Random Picture "Monday" part IV

Posting twice last week threw me off my routine. I think a list might be in order:

1. Hudson scored a goal at his soccer game last week!!! It was only the third goal the team has scored the entire season, which makes it even more spectacular. As seems to be the case with young kids and organized sports, just as they are figuring the whole business out, the season is over. Because we just can't get enough, we are moving on to basketball next. Yesterday, he went out and shot baskets in the
rain. He looks gigantic in these pictures.






2. My kids went trick-or-treating for the first time, with our dear friends. They found it all Most Wonderful, and have spent hours discussing their candy, sorting their candy, asking questions about their candy..."What is in 3 Muskateers? What is NOUGAT? What's in Baby Ruth? What are Reese's Pieces? Kit Kats? Gobstoppers? Can I have a piece of my candy? Can I have a piece of my candy NOW? How about NOW?"

 3. I am reading a new biography of Theodore Roosevelt that focuses on his contributions  to natural history. It's so interesting that ornithologists and naturalists used to kill so many birds and animals so they could study them, and then teach others about them. I happened to be flipping through my old college anthology of American literature yesterday, and read a short story titled "A White Heron" by Sarah Orne Jewett, who lived at the same time as Roosevelt (and her first name was actually Theodora!)  It's about a little girl who encounters a young ornithologist in the woods, and even though he offers friendship and much-needed money, she decides not to reveal the location of a white heron he seeks for his studies:"...she remembers how the white heron came flying through the golden air and how they watched the sea and the morning together, and Sylvia cannot speak; she cannot tell the heron's secret and give its life away."

4. That will have to be all. I need to go find some chalk board duct tape (what??) and feathers for the craft I signed up to contribute for Helena's upcoming book party. I actually think this particular craft is going to fall under the heading of Cultural Appropriation. I will just blame J.M. Barrie.



No comments: