So, in the spirit of More New Experiences, and because he is on spring break this week, the husband came home from Whole Foods with fish for the whole family on Monday night. The fish was received with great joy by Hudson, who was fresh off watching an episode of "Man vs. Wild" with Daddy, in which Bear Grylls had consumed, in order, a raw frog, a bat, and a rat. I, for one, was more than ready to embrace vegetarianism full-scale after watching the frog consumption. Hudson thought that every bite he took of his breaded halibut made him very Bear-like. Harper was not a fan, but she is going through a phase where new stuff is scary and possibly toxic. She is also washing her hands more than Lady Macbeth and we've had to institute some very unpopular Lotion Accords which have been received with great angst.
Last Friday we went to the Japanese gardens in Hermann Park and Helena walked into a very muddy stream and I had to step in to fish her out. I was wearing my red Frye boots, so you can see that there was some sacrifice involved on my part. She, and the boots, have recovered nicely, though the ride home was highly unpleasant and smelly. That same day she also decided that a half-eaten apple she found in the trash right on top of the coffee grinds was a terrific snack. AND possibly climbed up on to her changing table. At least she is cute. In fact, after I put her to bed tonight I was folding clothes just outside her door and she was singing a song about all of the friends she saw at the park today. It was to the tune of the Veggie Tales song "Busy, Busy!" and she sang "Izzy, Izzy! la-la-la Izzy!" and "Abby, Abby, la-la-la ABBY!" and "Aiken-dum, Aiken-dum, la-la, la Aiken-dum!" and "Ah-boo, Ah-boo, la-la-la AH-boo!" and "Hutsen, Hutsen, la-la-la Hutsen!" and "Dyoon, Dyoon, la-la-la Dyoon!" and "Ah-yaid, Ah-yaid, la-la-la, Ah-yaid!" and "Twan-yule, Twan-yule, la-la-la Twan-yule!" and then Mommy and Daddy and Sasha also got a verse and I thought my heart would burst with the sweetness.
The husband and I got gussied up again.
Speaking of the fair, yesterday we went back to the Livestock Show and Rodeo so the kids could ride some super fun carnival rides with Daddy.
This lady lifted Harper right up on Doc and then she and her sweet son gave us all sorts of Useful Horse Information. Mostly that you can either keep horses or you can have a nice normal life with a house and clothes and groceries, but not both.
The other day I was trying to explain to Harper that I had talked to my friend Tara, who didn't get her first horse until 8th grade and how that was a great idea, mostly because it means I don't have to deal with it for another 8 years, and she said something quietly under her breath. "What?" I asked and leaned down, and she said, with a scary, quiet confidence, two words.
"Tooth. Fairy."
So.

2 comments:
Will the tooth fairy always be that generous??? That would total about $400 for the baby teeth!
Your kids not liking vegetables makes me feel much better about E practically gagging at the sight of them on her plate. (No, not fair to her - she'll eat carrots and celery but onlywith a good serving of Ranch dressing. Ranch, in fact, is the only way I can get her to eat much at all, unless I say she won't get dessert until she eats more dinner at which point she'll stuff her mouth with the - undelicious to that point - entree.) And I can't get her to touch cheese, which is odd given the pounds of it I consumed while pregnant.
I don't eat much meat, either, but we tried a sorta new hamburger joint last week and I swear I'm done with everything else. It was so good it has simply ruined me for all others. If you ever make it back to Cowtown, I'll treat you.
Post a Comment