1. The Poodle Who Barked at the Wind by Charlotte Zolotow, ill. June Otari
2. The Seashore Book by Charlotte Zolotow, ill. Wendell Minor
3. The Sleepy Book by Charlotte Zolotow, ill.Stefano Vitale
4. The Quiet Mother and the Noisy Little Boy by Charlotte Zolotow, ill. Marc Simont
5. Mr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present by Charlotte Zolotow, ill. Maurice Sendak
6. I Like to be Little by Charlotte Zolotow, ill. Eric Blegvad
So, thanks to Zoe, we discovered Charlotte Zolotow. And I love her, especially I Like to be Little, because it reminds me of my childhood aspiration to never grow up, and The Quiet Mother and the Noisy Little Boy, because it reminds me that, even though my life is often quite noisy, I'm glad I did, finally, grow up.
7. Hugless Douglas by David Melling (A young bear wakes from hibernation in desperate need of a hug. I had never heard of this author but hope to read more of him.)
8. The Tub People by Pam Conrad, ill. Richard Egielski (I love books that pretend toys come to life when we aren't looking. We also loved The Rooster's Gift by Pam Conrad, about a rooster who is convinced he is responsible for causing the sun to rise, but who realizes that he is simply heralding the inevitable. Also recommended by Zoe.)
9. On Market Street by Anita and Arnold Lobel (These illustrations are splendid in this ingenious ABC book, and the kids were especially delighted by the cameo appearance of Lobel's Frog and Toad on the Toys page.
10. The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig by Eugene Trivizas, ill. Helen Oxenbury (the point-of-view shift is amusing, as is the fact that the Pig is finally transformed by a beautiful house of wildflowers that fills his nose with a lovely scent as he prepares to huff and puff.)
I mentioned in the last post that Harper and I have been reading the Little House series during our reading time. We have just started Farmer Boy, which is the third book. It's such a different experience reading these books as an adult. I am totally over-identifying with Caroline, and have cried several times while reading aloud, much to Harper's bafflement. I just can't imagine how hard it must have been for her. These have been the tear-inducers thus far:
--When Pa has to jump in the swollen river to save the wagon and she has to grab the reins with her husband and their horses about to drown and Laura and Mary and baby Carrie in the back of the wagon (with NO CARSEATS!!!)
--When she leaves her extended family behind in the Big Woods, travels across the country, and knows that she likely won't have any communication with them for a very long, long time.
--When the (possibly savage) Indians come in while Pa is away and she cooks cornbread for them.
--When Pa decides, WITHOUT CONSULTING HER, to leave the house on the prairie that they have labored over for an entire year, just as they have planted their crops...
And I didn't cry over this part, but I certainly felt mighty convicted:
--When she washes their clothes AND IRONS THEM while they are traveling from Wisconsin to Kansas (far, it is very far, we looked at the map) in a covered wagon. AND she cooks. AND bakes. AND washes dishes. For weeks and weeks and weeks. Every single meal. Over a camp fire. And, meanwhile, I whine about unloading the dishwasher. Sheesh.

10 comments:
I love Pam Conrad too. What a wonderful reading list!
I'm going to the library in a little while and just jotted down these titles to look for while I'm there. Some of those authors are new to me, so thank you for introducing me to them!
And oh my goodness, can I ever relate to your tears while reading the Little House books! I feel slightly ridiculous when I start getting emotional while reading them and Josiah looks over at me and (kindly, I'm sure) rolls his eyes and says (tenderly, I'm sure), "You're not going to cry again, are you?"
"Well, yes, as a matter of fact, I just might!" :)
I didn't realize, when reading them as a child, that there were so many times when they COULD HAVE DIED. The Indians (when Pa stayed up and didn't sleep, just so he could protect his family...one man with a gun against a whole Indian tribe?...absurd, but yes, Pa would do anything for his family...and so would my Jeff and so would your husband). The prairie fire (no 911 to call in those days!). And the sickness when ALL of them were sick at the same time and no one was there to take care of them until the neighbor lady (I think that's who it was?) showed up.
Incredible. I could cry just thinking about it. It's WAY different to read that series as an adult!!!
I'm drawn to these prairie stores as an adult too. Actually anything before electricity. As I unloaded my dryer today I said a silent prayer in thanks that we actually have these appliances that make light of major chores.
Oh, Davene, yes! I forgot all about their bout with malaria when they were all basically unconscious for 2 days and Mrs. Scott and the traveling doctor happened upon them. All I could think about was what baby Carrie ate during those two days? Was she unconscious too?? And I love how Laura remembers Pa--how strong and sure he was about everything (panthers, Indian war cries, prairie fires, building chimneys, digging wells..) AND how she remembers Ma as so serene and constant and gracious even in the scariest times.
I am so eager to go to the library and find the other books on your list! And stories like Little House, etc always make me wonder how those mamas dealt with diapers. Can you imagine traveling by wagon for weeks/months and having to wash and dry diapers? The laundry issues of those days would have surely sent me over the edge! :)
NO PAPER PRODUCTS!!! I know, it is amazing to ponder: no toilet paper, wipes, napkins, paper towels, diapers...
Have you watched the documentary "Babies"? I loved it--the African mom used a corncob to wipe the baby's poo! It was disgusting and not very effective.
We checked out a bunch of Zolotow books today per your rec! Can't wait to dig in.
Thanks for the recommendation about The Friday Nights of Nana; it sounds lovely, and I will keep my eyes out for that one! :)
You have inspired me with the Little House books. I never read them when I was younger; the TV show was available! But I'd like to move E from the fairy books (she loves them truly, though) to something with a little more substance. I had the idea to start with The Secret Garden and go from there.
Have jotted down all your recommendations. We're making a library run this week, and I'd like to try these out.
Okay - so going back a ways, I wanted to let you know that since this post I checked out several Charlotte Zolotow books at the library (though your recs must've already been borrowed). Love them - simple, clean ideas that are expressed in lovely ways.
Thought you would also be interested in Krista's side blog about kids books. I stumbled across it one day and thought, "Patti would love this!" Here's the link:http://krista-booksbooksbooks.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment