This is the slightly blurry photo that made it on to the Christmas card.
For the third time this week, I am having leftover pizza and M&M's for lunch. Not pertinent really. The Christmas M&M's were marked down to $2 a bag at Target. I'm lamenting I only bought one.
Just now as I was getting a healthy (no pizza or M&M's) lunch ready for the kids, I looked out the window and noted to Harper, with mild reproach, that she had left her scooter outside in the rain yesterday. "Oh well," she said carelessly, "I don't really play with it MUCH anymore anyway." Which is a sentiment that pretty much sums up why I loathe myself for venturing from the "something you want, something you need, something to wear, something to read" plan for Christmas this year. We just finished reading the chapter in Little House on the Prairie when their bachelor neighbor Mr. Edwards braves the swollen creek to bring each of the girls a tin cup, a little cake, a candy cane and a penny. And Laura and Mary were in raptures. Over a tin cup, a little cake, a candy cane, and a penny. I guarantee Laura, for all her naughty thoughts, would have never left her Lightning McQueen scooter out in the rain. And in Little House in the Big Woods she has a corn cob for a doll, for crying out loud. And she loves it.
So, aside from all of my existential angst, Christmas was nice. Harper, Grandmother Pate and I went to see the Houston Ballet's "Nutcracker" with our friends the Swanks:
Harper was mesmerized through the entire performance, and it only solidified her desire to someday become a ballerina who raises stingrays in her spare time.
Hudson got two play guns for Christmas:
Which can be exhausting:
Helena got a stuffed puppy of her very own and also has discovered a freckle on the bottom of her foot that she needs to examine several time a day.
And our backyard is full of tallow leaves, which are rather pretty and also good for jumping:

3 comments:
What a beautiful note!! We must be thinking the same these days...:))
Yap same here for Christmas R has gotten a few things only unlike his friends we visisted recently and had the entire living room filled with new toys and such. I am surley trying desperatley to cut down or not spoil however find it hard and often give in...
Lovely photos of you all. God bless ya and Happy NEW YEAR!
T has a freckle on the bottom of his foot too! Clearly this seals the deal for an arranged marriage.
I've had so many of these same thoughts about stuff, and am coming closer to posting about them so try to act surprised when you read about it, okay? I remember a scene from one of those PBS shows (Colonial House, or something), in which a boy gets a wooden car for his birthday, and he's thrilled, finally having realized that seeing his grandmother was more important than anything he could have received (and he was, like, 5).
Our Christmas card picture is on the sidebar, and it came out disappointingly dark on the card. Couldn't refuse to send it, as 1) I'd paid for it, and 2)it's only the second picture, or so, that we have of all 4 of us.
Post a Comment