Monday, January 10, 2011

Dare you to move


The husband has been leaving his old ipod in the car which gives us a delightfully eclectic music selection. There are two Switchfoot songs and the kids really like them, probably because they are So Rockin' compared to what we usually listen to. It cracks me up to hear Hudson singing an octave up when it gets too low ("we want more than the wars of our fathers, and EVERYTHING INSI-I-DE, SCREAMS FOR SECOND LIFE! We were meant to live for SO much MO-ORE!!)and Harper, on our way to Target this morning was having her little bean bag spider sing, and it was at a range and decibel level where only dolphins are comfortable, so I finally had to turn down "Dare You to Move" and tell Spidery that, while I truly enjoyed his performance, it was starting to pierce my eardrums and could he maybe PLEASE turn it down a little. All of Harper's stuffed animals have super creative names like Spidery and Stingray-ee, and Beary. She has several rocks named Rocky. All the dogs are named Sasha. And there is Object the Snail, Twinkle the Star, and Car the Pumpkin.

Coming out of Target I saw a large fellow in an even larger t-shirt with this emblazoned on it:

MY WALLET IS LIKE MY [word that means female dog]...THICK!!

Now, this fellow was walking with a lady friend. They were both scowling. Which is shocking, I realize. Although, come to think of it, why was he scowling? Because a trip to Target should be fun if one has a thick wallet. Well, I'll be. I just looked up 'thick' in an online slang dictionary and guess what it means?? It means 'attractive'!!! How about that? Well, then, neither of them should have been scowling. Here I've been judging. These kids today and their effusive, enigmatic double entendre t-shirt praise. Here's to a long and loving future for those two.

I've begun to look for houses. We may or may not be thinking about moving when our lease here is up in July. So it is way too early to start looking, of course. But I can't seem to help myself.

Wanted: an old but renovated house with mature trees and a yard and no roaches that is not in the suburbs and is very cheap.

I've been watching lots of HGTV after everyone is in bed and I have learned that I will have to make compromises because this is an impossible wish list for Houston. So it looks like I may have to shift my expectations a little.

Wanted: Cheap, no roaches.

In the words of Switchfoot, "We want more than this world's got to offer. We want more than this world's got to offer." Oh, maybe that's not really what the song means. Maybe I'm too thick to understand their lyrics. And by thick I mean, of course, really attractive.

8 comments:

Zoe said...

This made me laugh. How exciting to be house-hunting!
And at least there is some variation in stuffed animal names at your house... at my house nearly everything is named Baby Hudson, in honor of a brand new and much-adored baby cousin. It just makes things rather confusing when someone is looking for a certain stuffed friend and I have no idea which "Baby Hudson" we are currently hunting for. It gets even more confusing when my girls insist that their names are both Sarah (mother to the beloved Hudson) and I have 2 little Sarahs and countless Baby Hudsons in the house. :)

Patti said...

It's funny. Harper was NEVER tempted to name a single one of her animals Baby Hudson.

Chrys and Mike said...

You. Make. Me. Laugh.

Thanks.

Robin said...

No roaches is mighty high on my list too.

bethany said...

Always so glad to read your life. It does also always make me wish we lived closer. Thanks for the laughs. We LOVE Charlotte Zolotow and Jonathan Saffron Foer.

Margie said...

This is really funny, and I'm sorry I haven't commented before now. When I read these on my phone, I can't really respond since I find commenting requires a high degree of technical skill (not really, but it feels that way - the little keypad pops up and disappears, and one touch of the screen on the wrong place and POOF - the entire comment is gone).

Did you read my comment back to you about Lit? It was good, but doesn't rank as a Best on the list of 2010 reads. Interested to know what you think, as would the librarian! Pray tell what she thought about it, won't you?

And I'll talk about Shauna Niequist here since Katie Mulder knew her and might possibly tell her I quoted her in the post and I would not want her to read what I'm about to tell you: She's good - has a way with words, humorous, worthy of being published - but not great. She has some real gems, though, some chapters I've marked to re-read and ideas I've clung to for deeper consideration. Her books go on blog tours, which is why I suspect so many bloggers quote her. So give her a try (Cold Tangerines and Bittersweet are her two books), and - again - let me know what you think.

Okay. We're caught up now. I'll close this long, rambling, taking-up-too-much-space-in-your-combox comment.

Unknown said...

Oh, come on, the burbs aren't that bad. ;)

I loved this post. I hope to see you at the zoo very soon, you funny lady!

Davene Grace said...

I laughed at so much in this! I did not, however, laugh at the picture. That girl is sweetness!