One day last week, I noticed all the leaves had fallen off our little oak tree in the back yard in a single day. I went out to investigate, and they had not actually fallen off, they had been EATEN. By 4 gigantic green caterpillars. We managed to get two of them into our butterfly habitat, where they ate, rather noisily, for another two days. We are now the proud guardians of 2 polyphemus moth chrysalises! Polyphemus, as you'll remember, was the giant son of Poseidon. He was also a cyclops, which means our moths are going to have a large creepy eye looking thing on each of their wings! When we went to capture the caterpillars, I noticed a tiny, dead black snake draped on the branch next to it. That is lots of interesting nature on one tiny oak tree!
Some guys at our church are doing a prison outreach at the prison near our house (that never gets old) and asked us to make cookies. We made peanut butter, and the kids were all concerned that some of the prisoners might have peanut allergies. I assured them that for reasons I don't entirely understand, their generation seems to have a monopoly on peanut allergies, and they aren't quite old enough to be imprisoned.
Our neighbors had a costume party on Saturday. Hobbes (she made the entire costume by herself!), a stealthy ninja, and an Incredible all had a marvelous time

1 comment:
Love the Hobbes costume! Great job!
Post a Comment