Monday, September 14, 2015

First things

Yesterday was a gift--the magical first morning that the temperature in Houston drops below 70 and the humidity falls under 90%.

We are pretty well back in the swing of school. My throat is sore after our home days because our curriculum requires me to talk and read so much. In addition to our normal school work, I have been trying to read out loud more. We are currently finishing up The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster. It is a nice companion to The Search for Delicious by Natalie Babbitt which we read earlier in the summer. Harper and I read The Good Master by Kate Seredy which I especially loved because it is set in Hungary.

Helena likes pretending she can't really read, and last night I realized that I think she is afraid I will stop reading aloud to her once she can read on her own. I assured her that wasn't the case. She has also declared she never wants to learn to ride a bike or tie her own shoes. She did get her first ever haircut the week before school started. When I asked her how she wanted it to look, she replied, "Straight and dark!" Alas, it is still curly and blonde.

Harper got her ears pierced. She chose the most expensive pair of earrings Claire's had to offer, because she liked that they were the tiniest, and also that they are REAL gold and REAL diamonds.

Hudson has been helping Daddy with the yard, and also learned a few chords on the guitar.






No comments: