Monday, November 3, 2014

Car Talk

The saddest news I heard today is that Tom Magliozzi died. There are things to dislike about NPR, but The Tappet brothers have brought me joy for many years.

When I pick the kids up at school on Mondays and Wednesdays, we play at the park for a little bit, then we get in the car and take turns doing Roses and Thorns for the trip home. Each of us thinks of the best thing and the worst thing that happened during the day. Today, Helena's thorn was that "Mommy forgot to give me animal crackers for my afternoon snack and I only had gummy bunnies and there were only four small ones in the little bag!"  To which I say, in my head, "kids in Sierra Leone are dying of Ebola right this minute instead of counting how many gummy bunnies are in their individually wrapped, naturally colored, organic, non-GMO snack." Out loud I say, "oh, well, aren't you glad you had such a good lunch? With JELLY BEANS for a special treat?"

My roses were a bouquet today: Bach at morning assembly, breakfast at Buffalo Grille, a few errands, some quiet reading time at the arboretum, and then coffee with a new friend.  The thorn was that we got to our piano lesson and I realized Harper has practiced about 10 minutes total this week. Let's hope that hearing Mrs.F's mastery of Bach this morning inspired her to do better this week.

Did you know Bach had TWENTY children?? S.D.G. indeed.

3 comments:

Davene Grace said...

I DID know Bach had 20 children, thanks to my music history classes in college. ;-) Did you know that some of his children were also accomplished musicians, although none of them achieved their father's level of fame? :)

Helena's thorn reminds me of something I just read in Jen Hatmaker's book 7 (which I read earlier this year but am rereading now) about how her (American, biological) children threw away perfectly good fish BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T HAVE KETCHUP. Meanwhile, the children they were working towards adopting from Africa were certainly not sitting around wasting food simply because they lacked a certain condiment. But it is HARD to keep a perspective of gratitude when I'm faced with things that cause ME discontent.

Car Talk. Ah, Car Talk. When I first caught my mother listening to it YEARS ago, I thought she must be a little cuckoo for listening to a radio show about CARS. But it didn't take long for me to realize that I, too, wanted to listen to it. I can't say that any of the knowledge from that show ever stuck in my brain, but I LOVED the way the Tappet brothers interacted with the callers.

Patti said...

Yes! They have such warmth with one another and with their callers. And Tom's laugh was a gift.

I read that 10 of Bach's children died in infancy. Perhaps one of the reasons for the depth of emotion in his music? I knew about CPE Bach and Johann Christian, because they get occasional play on our local classical station, but the other two I had not heard of. Maybe there is a "music gene"? Or maybe just the exposure at a time when there wasn't recorded music? The mom who played the piece yesterday told the kids beforehand that as a young man, Bach once walked over 200 miles to hear an organ concertt! My kids had trouble envisioning a world in which music is not readily available.

Margie said...

Your head talk sounds so much like mine, but I am not always to keep it in my head. Bravo for turning - or attempting to anyway - her thorn into a rose. And if Davene is reading 7 (or re-reading as the case may be), then I think I must, too.