Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Strep by strep

I will never learn that boasting about more frequent blogging will inevitably lead to some sort of plague. Helena woke up last Wednesday with a fever. I will take a moment to mention the very mixed emotions I feel when it becomes clear that one of the kids is going to have to stay home on one of the days they are supposed to go to campus. Thankfully, it has only happened twice, because they are not my finest mothering moments. OF COURSE, I am sad my children are unwell, but I am just the tiniest bit sadder that I am not going to get to do what I had planned for that day.

The pediatrician confirmed with a swab that Helena did indeed have strep throat for the second time this month, and this time, I had it too. So, we picked up our antibiotics, and came home and I wiped down the entire house with Clorox wipes. Harper woke up feeling puny on Saturday, so I took her and Hudson in for a swab.  They both tested negative, but the doctor suggested prophylactic antibiotics just in case. Maybe you'll remember that we made it almost 9 years without a single prescription medication, and now I am giving my kids antibiotics "just in case." But guess what? It is Wednesday morning and I am blogging in my quiet house while my strep-free kids are at school.

We did make it to church on Sunday, because the doctors had assured me we were no longer infectious. In spite of this, Helena announced, in a loud voice, during communion, to her sweet teen-aged friends Natalie and Gabrielle, "I cannot play with you today! I am ILL!! With STRECK THROAT." Then we came home and enjoyed the new fire pit the husband bought Saturday. S'mores are even better than antibiotics when you are STRECKEN. Also, yes, we have a hammock hanging from our playset. The kid also have one hanging in their room now.

No comments: