We were in the bathroom at Whole Foods last week and the Mr. Mister song "Kyrie Eleison" came on and, naturally, I started singing it in a pretty loud voice. I told Harper it was a pop song from when I was in high school and that it has Latin words in it. She seemed very impressed. Not really with my singing because, boy howdy, it gets up a little out of my range, but that her burgeoning Latin skills are going to serve her in so many unexpected ways.
Today was a rough day, but we made it through. The grammar curriculum we are using (First Language Lessons) requires me to expend MANY MANY words. Today, just for Harper's lesson, I was supposed to read "I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud" three times through before we even started the grammar script. I wanted to stamp on those lovely daffodils, I did. Then we got to history and I was FRAYED, and I was subjected to the soothing balm that is Oliver Cromwell and the beheading of King Charles. Also the plague and the London fire of 1666. Harper commented that she "used to feel sorry for the Puritans, but now I really don't."
Sunday afternoon we did a science experiment with red cabbage juice, vinegar, lemon juice, and baking soda. (note: we were actually supposed to do it on Thursday.) It was pretty smelly and the kids kept eating the cabbage and taking sips of things. I warned them that not all chemistry experiments are edible. The first picture, I have just noticed, has captured Sasha engaging in one of her favorite pastimes: shredding a paper towel which she will then leave in a slobbery pile for me to pick up. The second picture was actually after we finished the experiment and Harper was using the acid and base mixtures to try to tie-dye some paper towels.

5 comments:
I've enjoyed your blogging revival very much. Sorry to hear of your FLL troubles. I get the feeling Mrs. Wise enjoyed this whole "educate your own kids" thing a little more than I do. Why else would she write something that requires so much interaction?
We sing the Kyrie Eleison each week. Sadly not that version though. I never realised that's what that Mr. Mister song was saying. But I was quite young then, you know. ;)
We miss the Hinzes! I have so many topics I've been saving up to discuss with you. Hopefully we can meet up soon!
Hey! I record those poems on my iPhone and June listens to them repeatedly that way. Maybe that would help?
I also did not know those were the lyrics to the Mr. Mister song. We sing it too every week. Someone told me it was Greek......off to google lyrics and language.
Officially it's Greek. Before Latin became the language of the Catholic Church, Greek was widely used, then when it became Latin, this was the only remaining thing left of the Greek in the mass, ironically today, there is very little Latin, but this Greek remains.
I'm a GEEK.
Geeks (and Greeks!) are obviously welcome here, Stephanie Sue! Thanks for the insight! We sing the Kyrie often in our church too (not the Mr. Mister version) and I love it.
Post a Comment