Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Olympian in the high school meet

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal a couple of months ago about Missy Franklin, swimming prodigy and winner of many gold medals during last summer's Olympics. Miss Franklin is still in high school (because she is just 17, after all) and is, consequently, still swimming for her high school swim team as an amateur athlete. The article detailed how UNFAIR some of the kids, coaches, and parents at her rival schools are finding this. There were lots of quotes heavy on the whining. This seems significant to me--emblematic of our "everyone gets a trophy" mentality. I think if I had a kid swimming against Missy Franklin, my advice would be to get in her wake and swim as much like she does as you possibly can. You'll still come in second, but at least you will be better than you probably would have been otherwise.

 Then last night we had a little family time around the Monopoly game, and Harper had acquired Boardwalk and Park Place. She bought three houses (after adding up the total in her head--triple digit numbers! Singapore Math, I'm sorry I had begun to doubt you!) and was sitting pretty. Until the Daddy got three hotels, and I got all 4 railroads, AND she had a few unlucky rolls. Watching the tears well up in her previously glowing eyes when she realized she was bankrupt made me realize something: it is NOT easy to watch your children face disappointment. I confess that I felt a little less judge-y about those parents in the Missy Franklin article at that moment. I also realize that losing well at Monopoly is an important life skill. Although when I came back from putting Helena in the bath, the Daddy had had mercy and had bailed her out a little. I guess it's like playing Monopoly with Sasha and Malia.

We all went to the dentist this morning. It was Hudson's first ever visit, and Harper's second. A little late (very like us when it comes to all things medical) to the preventative care, but thankfully, they were both cavity free. I am not. My mouth is going to have to be Dealt With in quadrants over several months, though none of it is very serious. Does anyone else think getting the x-rays is the worst part?? Maybe I just have a delicate palate.

 I just finished a popular best seller that had TWO unreliable narrators. This has vexed me ever since 10th grade and The Great Gatsby. I believed Nick Carraway. If I ever write a book, my narrator will be trustworthy.

 I still can't do Helena's birthday interview because the video camera memory is full, and the Husband has been too crazy busy to track down the hard drive.

 I'm reading For the Children's Sake: Foundations of Education for Home and School by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay and it is a delightful reminder of why we are schooling the way we are. Which is timely, because I have been a little weary of things lately. Possibly because I finally went to the doctor on Friday and it turns out that post-flu I have developed a couple of different -itises. I am currently on four different pharmaceuticals, and am finally beginning to feel myself again. Only now poor Helena has a fever. AGAIN.

 We got a blender for Christmas and we've been making smoothies. They have all been well received, except for two days ago when I got over zealous with the raw, vegan, sprouts-based protein powder. It was wretched. Helena thought it was delicious, the other two did NOT. I made Harper drink hers because she threw a small fit about it. Then I drank the rest because I can't stand to waste healthy (expensive--raw, vegan, sprouts based protein powder does not come cheap) food. It tasted charred somehow. Like charred, sprouty, bananas covered in flax seed oil and plain Greek yogurt. I'll be sure to post the recipe on Pinterest. You know, I just realized what with my steroid shot and my super unpalatable smoothie intake, maybe I should consider a run at the Tour de France this year.

That is all. Not even a picture to temper the randomness.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, getting x-rays is the worst part. The hygienist at my previous dentist made fun of me because I had, ahem, trouble holding the thing in the back of my mouth. So I found a new dentist with a much nicer hygienist.

The Malia/Sasha comment made me laugh.

Glad you're back amongst the land of the living!

Leah G

bethany said...

We haven't yet tried Monopoly with our kids, but I'm encouraged to, seeing that in real life I feel closer to where Harper is, and maybe I might learn something new. Or become gloriously successful? Either way. Board games always seem to end in someone's tears around here.

p.s. I tried to video an interview with Blythe over the weekend. It ended up in installments due to the "storage full" issue. Sigh.

p.p.s. thanks for always making me laugh.

Chrys and Mike said...

You are the best writer. So good, in fact, that I might stop blogging. It's not fair.