Just before they walked out, Hudson thought he probably and most decidedly did NOT want to participate. He definitely did NOT want to play one of the guitars. I convinced him he could go out with his pirate do-rag and do some tae-kwon-do, and guess what? Little man WON the dance off!! The prize was a large thermos cooler WITH a straw, a Sports Clips t-shirt (size adult XL which we passed on to Grandfather Pate), a piece of beef jerky (also given to Grandfather Pate), a tube of men's shave gel (given to the Daddy) and a FREE haircut! Harper and the other boy (his name was Johny) got a pair of Lamar University sunglasses and a lanyard necklace thing. I'm not sure the judging had any sort of objective criteria, considering Johny, as you can see from the photos, had some MOVES (look at him all Michael Jackson on his toes in the second photo!), and Harper, who did her ($500) cartwheel in the midst of her impressive choreography, actually performed better than Hudson. All I can figure is that they decided Hudson was the one most in need of a free haircut.
Anyway, it kind of felt like one of those moments Donald Miller talks about in one of his books when the family jumps off the dock into the water just to make things memorable. Dancing like no one is watching in front of a crowd of a thousand people definitely counts as a memory, I think. I will be back soon. Maybe tomorrow.

2 comments:
Oh, if only there was a video!
Oh, goodness, yes. And the dancing was rewarded! LOVE the do-rag. Great story with a happy ending. Who knows were this kind of rewarded public display will go???
Post a Comment