Usually when we are stopped at a long stop light. My moves are straight from the late 80's and are very entertaining for the kiddies and also, perhaps, random strangers sitting in the cars nearby.
It's funny to me that several friends have been sent their congratulations when they've received emails "sent from my ipad." It shows that they understand me, their friend the Luddite.
I still haven't packed a single box, and we move in one week.
Here are some words that Helena pronounces in an especially funny way:
1. "Minimals": minerals
2. "Mr. Cardigan": Mr. Cardinal
3. "Smeh-smee Stree": Sesame Street
4. "Messin": medicine
5. "Stained up": stand up
There are many more, and the big kids RELISH pointing them out, even though they each had their very own special speech impediments at this age.
I'm sorry to report that I think I've decided to get a beige couch. I don't think my personality really screams "Gentle Neutral Color Scheme" but I decided I don't want red, and the navy is too dark. I sat on the green one for a while on Saturday, and tried to envision it in my life for the next 10 years, but I decided we just needed to stay friends. For its many virtues, Ikea does not offer a plethora of color choices. I did flirt with the idea of the white for a couple of days, but decided that it would be too stressful. I've discovered I really like ticking stripes, but thus far the only offerings I've found were at Pottery Barn and Ethan Allen. I don't exactly remember who Ethan Allen was in the scope of American (British?) history, but he was VERY proud of his furniture. My bedroom furniture growing up was a yellow set from Ethan Allen. My friend Stephanie Sue had the same set. Mine is, in fact, still in my old room at my parents' house.
I have a few cute pictures from our last day of Classical Conversations. Maybe I'll figure out how to do pictures on this contraption and do a whole post about our year.
The husband just got home from an evening at the gun range with a couple of other professors. He took the Glock for a spin and she (he?) apparently did mighty fine.
We went to a ranch on Saturday (it's funny that this really does happen more than usual when one lives in Texas) and got to ride in a horse drawn carriage driven by a octogenarian. I realized that those ladies in the Jane Austen novels weren't just being ninnies when they complained about how taxing traveling by carriage was. There are no shock absorbers. And also I was sure I was going to lose Helena, who was on my lap, or Harper, who was to my right, or this sweet 8 year old named Lily, who was on my left, when we cantored down into a ravine. It was delightful all the same.
I just found a slip of paper on my desk on which I had written, "Hudson: MOMMY! Can you come adjust Helena?? Because apparently, a little chiropractic care is just the thing for a pesky little sister.
That will have to be all. I really need to go think about all of the packing I have yet to do.
***I promise this post had paragraph breaks in it. Blogspot is VEXING me by refusing to acknowledge my spacing. FIE on you blogspot. FIE!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
I don't know where my Ethan Allen yellow bedroom furniture set is now. I think it was pawned off on a niece at my step brothers house. They tried to get me to take it......and that was met with crickets chirping and tumbleweeds blowing by.
But boy was it FINE back in the day.
I think a beige sofa is a good choice. You can always color it up with pillows and a throw blanket in your favorite colors.
My mom has offered mine to me, but I've passed thus far. It is indeed sturdy and well-built, and looks exactly as it did 30 years ago.
The color is more of a flax, which I decided looks a little like the (much pricier) flax linen couches I'd admired. I'm still deciding what color I'm going to use for my "splash" (or "pop" if you want to be super HGTV annoying). I do like red (especially in the aforementioned ticking stripe) but I also like robin's egg blue. And I've seen a couple of bright yellow patterns that make me happy.
I'm going to send you a pic of my mother in laws new beige sofa and how she tricked it out with pillows. She used red and robins egg blue! It actually looks really good. The colors are sort of muted, with a little grey so it's soft red and soft robins egg blue and it works.
Blue and Red (perhaps not Robin's Egg) look stunning together. The nice thing is that you can change those things every five years or so at a small price. Or you can save the red for Christmas time. I think yellow and beige would be hard to work, but maybe there's a particular pattern that would do it.
I'm glad you clarified that the spacing was a blog issue. I was beginning to think the stress of your move had stressed you to such an extent that the ramblings of your mind had become a giant run-on declaration. Imagine my immediate relief to know it's simply a technology issue! ;)
okay, that previous comment was from me, my mom must have checked her email here yesterday! technology trouble indeed!
I was a little excited that your mom was reading the blog AND offering grammatical commentary.
Formatting issues with Blogger been making me batty! I'm glad it is not just me.... We have been having to make so many decisions about our addition- tile, carpet, faucets, counter top, paint colors... Did you know that Benjamin Moore (proudly!) offers over 200 different shades of white?! Ay,ay,ay. I am sooooo looking forward to the finished product but wish it would magically appear in a big reveal- darn you HGTV for unrealistic expectations!
Oh Christine, YES. All of the furniture decisions have been downright debilitating. I realized how glad I am that the house we are buying was already finished and I don't have to make MORE decisions about paint color and fixtures ad infinitum. I realize most people WANT to make those decisions but I get very overwhelmed. TWO HUNDRED shades of white??? Astonishing. I feel like that says something about our culture, I'm just not sure what.
Post a Comment