Friday, May 4, 2012

Hudson at five and a third

I should be packing, so instead I'm going to sit here and write some things about Hudson. Because if I don't do it now, I might not ever. Unlike packing, which is an unfortunate inevitability.

 I'm doing this on my laptop to see if the spacing issues are the ipad's fault.

 We ran into the grocery store Tuesday night (after dinner at Berryhill, where kids eat FREE on Tuesday) and on our way out, the receipt came out of one of the bags and began to blow away. I charged Hudson with catching it, and he did. "Hudson! You saved the day!" I enthused. "Well," he demurred, "not the ENTIRE day." Endearingly modest, that boy.

 He's been a little scowly and growly lately, and I'm not sure why. He likes to retort, "It doesn't make SENSE!" when I've asked him to do something incredibly difficult and offensive, like empty the bathroom trashcan. On the bright side, he is getting along pretty well with his sisters most of the time. And at the zoo on Wednesday, I happened to overhear this conversation with his friend T:

 T: Let's play "Cars"! I'll be Finn McMissile!(interestingly, to my knowledge, T has never seen "Cars" but is willing to embrace the characters with Hudson, in the same way our princess-loving friend Izzy used to indulge Harper in all of her Lightning needs)

Hudson: I want to be Finn!

 T: I know! We can BOTH be Finn!

Hudson: YEAH!

 And off they drove with their fingers pointed like missiles. It has been my experience that if a little girl had been involved in that negotiation, it would not have resolved so quickly and joyfully. A certain girl in my family would definitely have pointed out the IMPOSSIBILITY of there being more than one Finn.

 Another curl crop has occurred. Will this be the one from which the curls won't return?
He has been playing lots of basketball (in the house mostly, though we've promised a goal at the new house) and he is really good at dribbling. He can pass between his legs and everything. It's only slightly less noisy than the drumming. Hudson is just drawn to all things percussive. Also, when we were at the ranch on Saturday, several people who observed him throwing a football with the Daddy noted that he has an impressive spiral. At his size, he'll definitely need to be super scrappy if he's going to play sports. Like John Stockton (or wait, is that the really old guy that ran for vice-president that time?) or Doug Flutie.

 That will be all, I think. Maybe I'll be back later. Because the albatross about my neck is lighter when I sit at the computer.

1 comment:

Robin said...

There is no way that's Hudson in the after picture. No way. (Why do boys look so much older after a hair cut?)

I do hope the curls return.