Monday, April 9, 2012

The growing season



We went to Discovery Green with the S's on Saturday and happened upon an Earth Day celebration. There were tribal dances (descendants of the Aztecs, or so one of the dancers told us), a hula hoop tent, and booths offering vegan cinnamon rolls, among other earth-friendly delights. But the very best thing is that the Houston Parks and Rec Services were there giving away trees! We like trees! In fact, I had picked out a maple and asked the guy if we might have another to put in our new back yard (which is tree-less--more on this later) and he said he was sorry, but that there was a one tree per family limit. Then Harper got so excited about a red oak, he was touched by her Tree Love and said we could have two. Then the heroic Mr. S helped me get my two trees to the car because the husband was off acting in a movie (true).

We also planted corn and cherry tomatoes in some egg cartons last week. I won the science fair in the first grade with this exact project. I wish I could be one of those mommy bloggers who posts perfect how-to photos with my posts, but every time I'd try to get a picture, one of the kids would do something that would entail putting down the camera and digging around to see if Hudson had already put the corn kernel in the slot designated for tomato seeds etc. Plus the tomato seeds were so tiny and there were only 20 in the package (for $3.49! Dear me.) so I had to commandeer the seed packet to make sure there was equitable distribution.

What I suggested Hudson might write in his little notebook: "HYPOTHESIS: That the plants in the eggshells will grow better than the plants not in the eggshells." What Hudson actually wrote in his little notebook: "fiNN MCMiSSiLE."

No comments: