I just came from tucking the brand new five year old boy in. As he was nestling down into his sleeping bag, getting ready for his nightly back scratch, with his blue fleece blanket (the one with a puppy paw pattern that he's slept with since he came home from the hospital) cuddled up to his cheek, he popped his thumb in his mouth, as he has done every night since he was around 4 months old. Then he popped it out and said,in a small voice, "No." He has, apparently all by himself, decided that Five Year Old Boys Don't Need Thumbs For Sleeping. Which I'm sure will make his dentist very happy (if I ever decide to take him), but I teared up a little.
I did do the birthday interview with him today, but I'm too tired to transcribe it all tonight. Suffice it to say the dominant theme is Weapons and God and Spies. Kind of like the Crusades. My favorite was #17: What do you want to write a book about? He said, "Cars 2 and James Fond and Finn McMissile."
So, we are all so deeply FOND of our sweet funny Hudson Bear, Huts, Huffin, Huttin, Bud. My boy. I am filled with deep joy and deep grief at the thought of five years having passed in a blink.

1 comment:
Happy Birthday, Hudson! Five is such a great year! So much fun to be had and great things to learn!
Post a Comment