Monday, November 28, 2011

Attachment Parenting: Canine Edition

Maybe you'll remember that we acquired our dog largely against our (actually, just my) will. Poor little Sasha had either run away from home or been abandoned when she showed up on our doorstep that fateful, cold morning in February. and frankly, she gets away with more than she should because of her status as a Recovering Abandoned Puppy Who Suffered In the Cold For WHO KNOWS HOW LONG.

Exhibit A:

We were getting ready to go and spend a couple of days with the Grandparents Pate for Thanksgiving, and, as is her usual reaction when the suitcases appear, Sasha begin to quiver and attempt to get directly under my feet in a way that was incredibly annoying. The husband observed her for a minute, then asked where the Baby Bjorn was. I didn't exactly know, but I did happen to know exactly where this sling was. Sasha took right to the dog-wearing and immediately stopped the quivering.

The first night Sasha stayed with us, she slept outside in a cardboard box. In fact, she slept out there for several nights. Which I do feel slightly guilty about in hindsight. It WAS pretty cold. But you know, I think we have more than made up for that possible cruelty. Guess where she slept last night? We had still not turned on our heater and it was around 33 degrees outside, and 50 degrees in our room. Sasha was curled up in the crook of my knees, UNDER the sheet, skin-to-fur, the entire night. Gross. Sort of sweet, but GROSS. If you had told me two years ago that I would be letting a small shedding animal sleep under the covers with me I would have laughed at you in a really rude way.

So, we have dog-wearing and co-sleeping. Oh, how the mighty have fallen. At least I'm not dressing her up and putting her in a stroller though. RIGHT???

6 comments:

Jamie said...

I think you should read Dogwise.

Stephanie said...

I love it. I can't throw stones. My cat is currently swaddled in a cashmere scarf that she has claimed as her own.

Patti said...

Jamie--I did put her in her crate and let her "cry it out" when we had to leave and go to the library today. Also she is fed on a strict schedule. When I actually remember to feed her, that is.

Staci--I don't even have a cashmere scarf!! But I am sure that if I did, Sasha would rub her smelly self on it every chance she got.

Jo said...

There's a great doggytique in the Dallas Galleria you need to check out!

Robin said...

Oh my. Exhibit A made me laugh. Hard.

Margie said...

I had to put my foot down about a dog. If I hadn't a puppy would have been in a box under the tree this Christmas. Funny thing, Wayne's all gung-ho, but I continue to ask, "Who will REALLY be caring for it? Who will be potty training again, feeding, watering, walking, cleaning? Me, that's who!" So he grins and says again, "If not now, then soon." No. Not. for. a. long. long. time. Although Sasha, I admit, makes up for her dogginess in cuteness.