Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The exact moment Hudson decided he did not ever want to be the President.


I was checking email yesterday and Hudson wandered over and asked, "What powers did George Washington have? Were they SUPER powers?" and it took me a minute but I finally realized he had been paying attention after all when we were listening to our memory work cd in the car. The history sentence that we will be memorizing next week is:
"In 1789, in New York, George Washington was granted the full POWERS and responsibilities of the presidency by the U.S. Constitution."
I had to tell him (while giggling) that, sadly, the Constitution did not grant SUPER powers, and then (after looking it up) I had to share the depressing news that, short of his role as Commander-in-Chief of the military (this was exciting), his other powers essentially involve things like appointments and treaties and pardons. In other words, things that don't allow him to ignite and extinguish flames out of his fingertips or fly or pick up a freight engine with his pinky. After dealing with that considerable disappointment, his next question was whether or not the president gets to have a gun and a knife. I told him I didn't really know if the President himself carried a gun (I'm picturing Harrison Ford in "Air Force One"--it seems like he had to knock a bad guy out and steal his gun. So, my knowledge is clearly very scientifically obtained. If Rick Perry becomes president, he will definitely have a gun because of all the coyotes.) but that he had an entire group of men who protect him and they all have lots of guns and knives. So now Hudson thinks it is much cooler to be a Secret Service Agent than it is to be the President. So then we went to the Galleria with the Daddy this morning to get a watch battery and we played for a little while at the playscape (or, as the husband sees it, The Very Place to Readily Obtain Communicable Diseases)which is a kid-sized squishy rendition of the Galleria and its environs. There was this kid about Hudson's age and he was wearing a shirt that had "Future President of the United States" embroidered on it, and at one point I noticed he was standing on the roof of Neiman Marcus looking puzzled and a little sleepy while Hudson and this other kid were darting around, holding their fingers like guns and shooting at invisible bad guys. I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.

3 comments:

Maria Smith said...

coool!!!! I think Hudson is a very very clever boy!- also his mummy is as I would have not been able to say so much on the subject...:)))
I am also amazed at Reuben's huge imagination world .....although seems to be around trains and more trains, buffers and funnels and crossings and signals....a whole new world and phew a whole new language...he might become a NERD?:)) ah well. Love reading your posts.

Margie said...

Love this story about the things sons think about. Lovely telling of it, here. I'm reading backward over lo these many months of your posts, so bear with me. Looking forward to catching up on your summer.

Krista Sanders said...

You need to be read more. And I love your book lists.