1. Come On, Rain! by Karen Hesse, pictures by John J. Muth
Beautiful, interesting watercolor illustrations in this sweet story of a little girl and her friends (and their mothers) as they exult in a rainstorm after a drought. Maybe it even has magical powers, because the day after we first read it, it rained here. Hm. That just reminded me that the day it rained, I was going to take the dog for a quick walk right after dinner and I was planning to sneak out because I didn't really want everyone coming, but then Helena noticed and asked to go, then Hudson noticed and asked to go, then of course Harper wanted to go, so we all went. Then we got to the end of the driveway and I noticed that 2 of the 3 kids weren't wearing pants (Harper was, and Hudson was wearing these boxer brief underpants that almost look like shorts so I decided to let it go), and 2 out of the 3 were also wearing their rain boots which have been gathering dust under the wagon these many rainless months. So, there was puddle splashing. Then Helena started crying about halfway around the block for reasons I could not comprehend. So we rounded the block with her crying the whole way. And if any of the neighbors looked out at me and my crying, pantsless children, they likely sighed deeply to themselves. Oh! And the dog pooped on the wet grass and I said to her, "Now that wasn't so bad now, was it??" in a super condescending tone. The end. Now, WHY is no one paying ME to write touching childen's literature?
2. The Alfie and Annie Rose series by Shirley Hughes.
The kids and I both love these sweet stories, adorably illustrated, about a boy and his little sister. The Big Alfie Out of Doors Storybook is our favorite so far.
3. The Tub People by Pam Conrad, illustrations by Richard Egielski
This is a simple story about little wooden tub toys. I think I love it so much because it is so spare in style, but still manages to include all the elements of a great story. The little tub child gets accidentally washed down the drain (conflict) and:
"Every evening the Tub People continued to float in the bathwater. But in time they stopped calling.
And they never winked at each other any more." (exquisite "show don't tell")
That slays me. They do (with the help of a plumber) get their boy back, and are subsequently moved to the bedroom window sill, where they continue to have (drain-free) adventures (resolution)in which, it is presumed, they once again wink at each other. I just realized that this book is like a non-Pixar/Disney, non-hyped, non-merchandised, non-animated, free of flatulence and/or poop allusions, much more subtly brilliant pre-Toy Story "Toy Story."
4. Bubba and Trixie by Lisa Campbell Ernst
Bubba is a pusillanimous caterpillar and Trixie is the optimistic, intrepid ladybug who convinces him that the wider world (or, in this case, garden) is meant to be explored. Bubba also feels that his inevitable metamorphosis should be avoided at all costs (I recognize myself in his reluctance to believe that change could EVER be good) but Trixie, again, helps him to see the bright side. I use my best Southeast Texas accent for the voice of Bubba, as should you.
5. The Little Rabbit by Judy and Phoebe Dunn.
I loved this whole series when I was a little girl. They are all sweet, simple stories, illustrated with lovely photographs, of children raising baby animals. It's also fun to see the kids' 70's era clothes and haircuts.
That's it for now. You know how when you steam broccoli, it makes the whole house smell unpleasant? Well, just now while I was monitoring a certain little lady in her potty pursuits, I was also steaming some broccoli for dinner, and, unbeknownst to me, all of the water steamed out of the bottom of the pot, and it scalded into something black and inexplicable FOUL. I suspect if you took a deep sniff right now, you'd probably smell it. Even if you live several states away. I can't wait for the husband to get home because he always wrinkles up his nose when we've had (usually not burned) broccoli, so I can just imagine what his reaction is going to be.
Which reminds me that I need to blog about our zoo trip last week during which we got to experience the once-every-eight-YEARS event that was the blooming of Pewtunia, the corpse flower. I'm pretty sure that my scorched broccoli smells worse.

No comments:
Post a Comment