
1.Today we were listening to a nursery rhymes cd that Helena loves and which the other two conspire to turn off at every opportunity until I have to use a Stern Voice and make Rigid Guidelines About No One Touching The CD Player Except For Mommy, NO EXCEPTIONS PERIOD, when Harper mused, "Why did Humpty Dumpty even sit on that wall? He should have just walked up to the top of the castle and looked around up there."
2. I came in on this scene yesterday, or was it Monday?:
Which Helena thought was very devastating news indeed.
3. Helena has a very teeny head. Not tiny enough, however to keep her from wedging it between her crib and the wall this afternoon while in pursuit of a puzzle. I have never heard such a cry. It was almost feral. Thankfully, release was quick and simple. I did not take a picture because I am not a monster, but here she is a little later feeling sad about something else:
4. I washed all the sheets on Monday and as I was putting them in the washer, I took note of the abomination of desolation that was Harper's room. If you are sensitive (or your name is My Husband) you might want to avert your gaze:
I like how Hudson and Helena are playing in there like it's no big deal that it is Absolute Squalor, and Harper was somewhere else entirely, denying the harsh reality that was the impending Pick It UP And NOW!
5. I have read several critically-lauded contemporary novels over the last couple of months and all of them (with the exception of Cutting for Stone, which I liked very, very much) have left me feeling like a tiny, forsaken Lego on the floor of Harper's room. Since when do hollow, aimless, often vile, self-absorbed humans make for compelling stories? They DON'T, that's what. I don't care if the critics really think that post-postmodernism (yep) is a laudable art form. Blech. I want a book to make me feel the way I felt the first time I read Pride and Prejudice or Gilead or Pilgrim at Tinker Creek or Watership Downor Cry, the Beloved Country. Dear Jonathan Franzen, I have given you two extremely long chances and I now bid you adieu. Freedom, my foot.
6. I am, however, considering giving the Harry Potter series another go. I started a few years ago and lost interest somewhere in the second book. Jamie is apparently reading them now (instead of blogging obviously) and she is generally my canary in the mine for those sorts of things. Would someone else like to make me care?
7. On the latest episode of "Man vs. Wild" Bear Grylls did something for which Harper may never forgive him. He ate a STINGRAY. I was folding clothes in the next room while they watched with the husband and she came in with her head down. "Did Bear just eat a stingray?" I asked. "He did. A blue spotted one," she answered quietly. I left her alone with her grief. Maybe I'll make some more cookies to cheer her:
8. We have entered Narnia at last. The husband has been reading The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe aloud at bedtime. They call the White Witch "WW" which I think is funny. I'm just glad they have another plot to discuss because I have heard more than any human ever really should about the antics of Lightning and Mater and Finn McMissile and Professor Z ad nauseum ad nauseum.
I am off to bed and really I hope to blog more this week and also to be cheerier.

7 comments:
YES! Read HP! Get through 3 and 4-7 are wonderful.
Love your writing even when it's not cheery. :)
I finally found a new-ish mainstream book that I loved and didn't want to end as I was reading it, The Help. Have you read it? Loved it so much.
You may need to censor this comment so it does not traumatize Harper, but Jonathan went fishing a few weeks ago and caught a stingray on his line, which he pulled up out of the water and saw what it was, then an alligator in the water came by and took a large bite out of it while it was still on the line!!!! The carnage! Apparently, he ate the stinging half of it and promptly spit it out. In the end, the stingray got it's revenge.
You know I like Harry Potter!
I'm in position 46 for Cutting for Stone at the library. It's taking forever to get the book, but I plan on reading it.
Well, HP it is. I mean, it will feel good to give a struggling author another reader, right?
Staci!! That is horrific! Very Discovery Channel. I had no idea stingrays lived off the Louisiana coast. Harper pretends that her stingray friends don't use their stingers for anything other than waving at her in greeting.
Do you honestly think I can submerge myself in young-adult fiction AND keep up with the blog? Let's reel in those expectations l little,shall we?
But I do appreciate how you kept the WYPW fire alive.
This is a post I've been meaning to get back to: I cannot read Franzen. The Corrections was so awful, I couldn't continue. I mentioned on Betty Duffy's blog that if I was surrounded by people like those of which he wrote, I would probably kill myself. Dark, awful choices not rooted or guided by morality, or selflessness, or love. Too, too much.
And, by the way, how's Narnia going? I think we'll wait a couple of years (or at least a year) before starting. The Secret Garden, though good, was hard for Sarah to follow.
Post a Comment