Thursday, July 28, 2011

Ima Hogg, are you?


We joined our friends Dexter and Wilson for a home school day at Bayou Bend today. I had never been before, though I had heard of the estimable Miss Ima Hogg and her lovely, antigues-laden home. We toured the house, Mrs. W and I wanting to ask many questions about Greek revival furniture and the portraiture of Gilbert Stuart, while the kids wondered inwardly if they would get in VERY much trouble if they climbed the 18th century highboy and leapt off, and also how much longer they would be required to stand still and quiet while the docent pointed out interesting aspects of the handpainted wallpaper. We finally got outside and the real fun began. There were clothes to wash in the good, old-fashioned way:Helena was such an eager washerwoman that she put her whole self in the washtub at one point.

There were yokes to be borne:

Dirty vegetable to be scrubbed clean:

Whining and scowling because our paper boat got soggy and sank and also because we didn't have a snack at precisely 10am:

Wobbly suspension bridges to traverse the bayou:


And lovely gardens in which to frolic after snacks had been eaten and moods lifted:

It was a very good morning and we shall return.

I'll leave you with a picture of Helena after I attempted to brush out her hair before washing it tonight:

2 comments:

Jo said...

Ohhh, I'm so jealous. I would have LOVED to have been there.

Patti said...

Abby would love how FANCY the house is. You should go when you are here.