Thursday, July 21, 2011

Unchained melody

Two posts in two days! Howdy do!

I picked up a cheap bag of carrots at Randalls a few days ago, which I've been meaning to do for several months, so we could go and feed the horses that live on a greenbelt about a mile from us. I would remember to buy carrots every time I was at Whole Foods, but I refuse to pay that much for carrots that are going to be fed to animals that do not belong to me and who do not care one bit whether or not their carrots are infested with pesticides or grown in the shade or whatever. So this morning we packed up the carrots and we headed out; Harper and Hudson on their bikes while I pushed Helena in the stroller. Just as we got to the field, Hudson's chain fell off his bike. I tried to fix it while Harper and Hudson took some pictures:
I think that one is pretty nifty, actually. How did Hudson get the whole blurry background thing? And why will Harper smile for him and not me?
Harper goes more for the conceptual shot. The inside of Hudson's bike helmet:
The side of the trash can in the driveway where I was failing miserably at getting the chain back on:
I finally gave up and we fed the horses. They liked their cheap carrots:
Actually, this paint was really the only horse who would eat them. Maybe the others shop at Whole Foods:
"Harrumph. Is that pesticide I smell?"

I didn't get any good pictures of Helena because I was too afraid the horse might confuse her tiny arm with a carrot. But she had fun all the same:

Then all the carrots were gone and I had to break the news to Hudson that he would be walking his bike home and no amount of army man/ Bear Grylls pep talking could convince him that this was not all very upsetting, so after a couple of blocks I managed to balance his bike on the stroller handles and he trudged and whined and complained pretty much the whole way home. Which definitely made the 99 degrees feel at least 30 degrees hotter. But we made it and we are better for it and the husband is going to spend a little time this weekend teaching me how to get that chain back on.

No comments: