Monday, April 4, 2011

Balanced

Notice anything missing in this picture?


It's certainly not a single piece of safety equipment. No! It's training wheels. Look at her go:


She's pretty steady on the straights, and can stop with confidence. Starting is still a touch shaky, so we won't be trying any group bike rides just yet, but it won't be long. I didn't cry when I saw her doing it, but I wanted to a little. It's a big deal.

The husband found that cowboy hat in the "Thelma and Louise" prop room apparently, and when he walked out with it on, the dog barked at him like she'd gone rabid until he started talking to her and she finally realized that even though there was a crazy hat stranger in her house, the Daddy person was IN there somewhere. It was fairly hilarious.

Roly, Poly, Mashy, Mooshy, Table, Metal, Hook, Stump, Grass, Weed, Rock, Stick, Mud and Tiny are the names of the roly-polies and snails Harper and Hudson collected in our back yard yesterday. They are housed in a plastic container with lots of grass and dead leaves and their every move is narrated in breathless detail. Frankly, after spending all day at home today listening to said narration, I am ready to dump them out after everyone goes to bed just so the neverending story will end. I am mean in my heart.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Go Harper! What a big girl! That is a major milestone. I can't wait for Saige to want to try - maybe I will show her the picture of Harper for inspiration. :)

Margie said...

I'm super impressed by the lack of training wheels! Way to go! If our kids played together, you and I would be able to actually talk if we sat them down in a roly-poly mound (are there such things?), and said, "Have at it." Because we, too, are obsessed with them. Elizabeth desired a costume for school in which she was a roly-poly that would roll up immediately upon being touched (some sort of spring release, I'm guessing?), and rejected my (I thought fairly decent) idea to glue yarn in straight, horizontal lines across the back of a body suit and glued handmade legs on the front. She wound up borrowing someone else's pre-made ladybug costume instead and was happy.