The kids and I were in the car and it started raining and a song came on about Jesus and His reign and I was anticipating some questions and was trying to remember if it's homophone or homonym and then I wondered if the DJ had played the song because it was finally raining (we've had a bit of a drought here) and I decided if I were a DJ, I would totally do that, because, like Jason Mraz, I am All About the Wordplay. That sentence is exhausting. In other theological/weather related news, one day last week when the wind was particularly gusty, Harper and Hudson were out on the swingset and Harper came sprinting in. She ran into her room and ran back out toting her Jesus Storybook Bible. "Whatcha doing?" I queried. "OH, Hudson is yelling at the wind to STOP so I am going to show him WHO makes the wind and that he shouldn't yell STOP." I couldn't really argue with that. Actually, though, now that I think about it, perhaps I should have double checked with her regarding WHO she thinks does make the wind because it's possible she told him it's the guy who illustrated the Jesus Storybook Bible.
A conversation I jotted down recently:
Harper: HUDSON! (every single time she says his name it sounds like an indictment) You are NOT doing what I expected!
Hudson: Eww.
Harper: HUDSON! That is NOT what you say when you watch a movie. It is NOT a compliment!
Hudson: Ew.
Harper: HUDSON. You MAY NOT say "EW" over and over. It is NOT what you do when you watch a movie.
Hudson: (very very quietly) ew.
Harper: HUDSON! Do you need to go to your room? HUDSON! Big boys do NOT suck their thumbs.
I like the way, when the discussion wasn't going how she planned, she changed into personal attack mode, and brought up something completely unrelated to her original complaint. Where in the world did she learn that?
I have bits of paper with scribbled reminders about things I want to remember to write about strewn all over my desk. (exhausting sentence Exhibit B) Some unedited samples:
**"Hudson just tripped on his hoop skirt. And I think I shall say no more about that. Harper can be scary persuasive."
**"People who are wont to intone 'GOD is sovereign' at every circumstance probably feel pretty satisfied with the way things have gone for them."
(I should note that I do, indeed, with all that I am, believe that God IS sovereign. What I despise is when folks in the church use it as a call to inaction. So there.)
**Harper: How did God make mountains?
me: I don't know!
Harper: I think he stuck lots of sticky tape together then painted it.
**"Harper: HUDSON! You can either play dress-up with me OR...I will squish up your toes and eat them for a snack. What's your choice?" (this one perhaps explains the hoop skirt)
I feel as though I should use this very public forum to confess that, yet again, I did not vote in the recent election. I did buy a teapot at Ikea yesterday. We have yet to turn on our heater, even though it has gotten a little chilly this week, and we've all been drinking lots of hot tea to warm up.
For probably a month now, Helena has been eating more than the other two. I have yet to find anything she won't eat. She is also getting tooth #11 and she can sing the ABC's tune, although her pronunciation of the letters is not quite English at this point. In fact, while she babbled during dinner one night, Hudson exclaimed, "Huhyaynuh can talk!" then he listened for another minute and added, "She's speaking Spanish!"

No comments:
Post a Comment